Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brew day oops - need quick advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
clawton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew day oops - need quick advice

Hi there.

I've just finished a 60 minute boil and realized my only airstopper is already occupied in a secondary fermenter. Today's brew is going in my 5 gallon pail to ferment. Should I cover the little hole where the airstop usually goes or just leave it open? I'm thinking leave it open since isn't this similar to the way people ferment with blow-off tubes - just leave the top of the jug open? I'm thinking if I try to cap it the CO2 will just pop it open anyway if fermentation starts. I can pick up another airstop tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'd cover it with a sanitized piece of foil.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah sanitize the lid of the bucket and cover with foil.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Is your secondary fermentation producing that much Co2? Use the airlock on the primary and cover the secondary with sanitized foil. You may find it's not producing pressure any more and you don't need it.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
clawton
Recipes 

Thanks all 3 of you for the quick advice. The secondary is not producing noticable CO2 through the airlock so I'll cap that with foil and use the airlock. And I'll start another thread about forgetting to add the aroma hops. Now leave them out alltogether or dry hop, which I have never tried before. It's a robust porter so it may be just fine without. It's been a comedy of errors tonight.

Quick Reply