Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brew Canada?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
SFBEER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew Canada?

Does anyone have an experience with the Brew Canada kits? I was considering trying their red ale kit and using some amber LME instead of the dextrose they call for.

I have been using Cooper's kits but have seen these sitting there and was wondering if they were any good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Haven't run across the product, but from a recipe standpoint, you've got a good idea. Amber LME will re-enforce a red's profile.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
ukulele01
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I have made Brew Canada Red, Blonde, and Draught. The Red is modeled after Richards Red, and it is pretty close. Unlike Coopers kits, which are perfectly smooth, Brew Canada kits contain visible hops residue. This *may* gum up your dispenser. I have not had a problem with that, but I know my mother-in-law (who is a home brewer) prefers Coopers kits for this reason. I am not sure why the residue is there, perhaps from a late [flavor] addition. I find the Blonde needs 2 months of bottle aging to mellow out some strong citrus flavors, but then it is quite nice. The Draught is much milder and can be drunk sooner. Coopers yeasts are used in the kits. The year of manufacture/best before date is coded on the can in a weird way, and is inscrutable. I go by the Julian date on the Coopers yeast, which is close to the date of manufacture, to figure out if the age of the kit (Julian date on Coopers yeast: first three numbers represent the day of the year, the last two are the last two digits of the year, ie., 13311 is 133rd day of 2011). Kits are best if made within one year from the date of manufacture, although many of the kits in my local home brew shop are already between 12-24 months.

Quick Reply