Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Bourbon Barrel Old Ale Secondary Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Lucky7s
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bourbon Barrel Old Ale Secondary Question

I've had a Midwest Bourbon Barrel Old Ale on oak cubes and 16+ Oz. of Makers Mark in the secondary since Jan 1. The temp is 58-58* (kept in garage). Any suggestions on how long to keep in secondary before bottling? I figure it'll be late April to early May before ambient temp will be much above 60*. Will 2 more months require additional yeast for bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Taste it regularly, that's a lot of Bourbon assuming 5G batch. Once it's too oaky, you can't go back.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 5

16 ozs seems like a decent amount of bourbon.

Oak can get overpowering, but fortunately it will mellow over time. But if it is way over it will take a long time.

Go taste it, if it is about right, bottle it. You are probably OK for yeast right now, but a couple more months of cold weather and I think I would probably re-yeast.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
fatnoah
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

When I did a bourbon barrel type beer last year it was the oak and not the bourbon that was too much. I used 16oz of bourbon in a 5 gal batch and I thought that was just about right. The problem was the oak. I left it in there WAY too long and it ended up tasting like a tree. I would taste it every week and bottle it when it tastes right to you.

Quick Reply