Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > bourbon barrel aged double bastard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Thor the Mighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default bourbon barrel aged double bastard

OHHHHH ive wanted to do this for a while and have been saving up some money for it.

would the best way to go about bourbon oaking a 5 gallon batch be about 3oz of chips that are soaked in bourbon for a week or two? how does this go, and how long should i let it age in the chips? thanks

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Austin_
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I used two ounces of oak cubes in the secondary for two weeks. Then when I bottled I added in straight Jack (about 16 oz.). Taste delicious so far (only in obttle for a few weeks now. I haven't really tasted it lately). Others have gone your route by soaking the chips in bourbon and then adding it into the secondary for a few weeks. It's kind of up to your personal preference.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks, thats helped a lot.

anybody else have experience with this?

-manbearpig

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Some folks have had good luck with using Jack Daniel Oak smoking chips soaked in more jack fort a couple weeks...I have my Brown ale sitting with some right now...there's a huge amount of info on different oaking strategies...I did a search and found several great threads two weeks ago...that's how I decided on the smoking chips...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply