The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Bottling issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
skipdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Bottling issue

I just bottled my two batches of Scottish Ale and American Light Ale. I had them in a temperature controlled fermenter for 11 days set at 61 degrees. The original gravity was 1.07 and the final gravity was 1.035 on the Scottish Ale. I bottled the beer and opened a bottle after 4 days. The problem is the bottle foamed up immediately and made a mess. It seemed heavily carbonated. Does anybody know why this happened? Do i now have 10 gallons of wasted beer or can i fix it?

Please help.....

Primary #1:American Light Ale
Secondary #1:Empty

Primary #2:Empty
Secondary #2:Empty

Keg 1 - Belgium Ale

Keg 2 - Empty

Bottled
#1 - English Amber Ale
#2 - California Beer
#3 - Scotch Ale
#4 - Light Ale
#5 - American IPA
#6 - Kegged Light Ale
#7 - Kegged Belgium Ale
#8 -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think the scotch ale has not reached the proper attenuation. 1.07 to 1.035 is around 50% attenuation, that's quite low, even for a scotch ale. The reason the bottles are over carbonated is because there are some unfermented sugars in the beer, so when you bottled it the yeast started eating the left over sugar including the sugar you used for priming, creating too much carbonation. Most of your bottles might be gushers, what you could do is try to chill the bottle as close to 32F as possible before drinking it. When you open the beer it won't lose too much CO2 and gush, the colder the liquid the more CO2 absorbed.
I have heard of people who open all thier bottles to purge the excess CO2 and then cap them again, but that would be quite a hassle.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, 11 days seems a little short, I suspect that Iordz is correct and the primary fermentation had not finished, hopefully your bottles don't start exploding. If you were using a kit the instructions should have given you a range for the expected final gravity, if 1.035 was above that you should not have bottled yet. Perhaps post you complete recipe, including yeast strain and someone could calculate what kind of FG you should expect. What was the starting and final gravities of your American light?

Edit: As an example the Brewers best Scotch Ale kit lists the FG range as 1.010 - 1.012. But it's starting gravity is only 1.050 so clearly yours would be different.

Last edited by camiller; 09-26-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Iordz is correct. A Strong Scotch Ale with an OG of 1.070 should finish around 1.018, so you were underattenuated. The fermentation has finished in the bottle.

Yes, it is a hassle to pop all the tops and recap, but I suggest you attempt it. Otherwise, I'm afraid they might pop themselves later on. Chill those bottles waaaay down, like Iordz said. Uncap, and then just recap. That will help you out. They may still be overcabonated, but they won't be so dangerous.

Your American may not have the same problem, so try one out and see what happened. Those Scottish Ale/Scotch Ale yeasts usually need a little more TLC than their American counterparts.

TL

Old 09-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You know how your primary airlock bubbles on day 3 and 4? You just added priming sugar when you bottled it 4 days ago and it is still actively fermenting. I would wait another week and see how they are.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk305
You know how your primary airlock bubbles on day 3 and 4? You just added priming sugar when you bottled it 4 days ago and it is still actively fermenting. I would wait another week and see how they are.
That's exactly what would worry me. If it is underattenuated, then the bottom bomb potential grows as the fermentation continues.

TL

Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

my one batch of bottle bombs, as I recall, started in the 1.050's for OG, and I chose to bottle around the upper 1.020's. about a month into bottle conditioning they started to explode.

be very careful with those bottles.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd be extremely careful with those bottles; get them cold and some place where they won't do any damage if they explode.

11 days is much too short for a scottish (I primaried mine for 3 weeks, then secondaried for over 4 months).

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Both of the Scottish Wee Heavy brews that I've done started at or about 1.070 as well. I left them in primary for 2 weeks. The first one was in secondary for 3 months and the other one is still in secondary now (2 months). I can't remember exactly what the fg on my first batch was, but I'm thinking that it was between 1.015-1.020.

Quick Reply