Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > bottle half, dry hop half?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
burtonbaton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default bottle half, dry hop half?

So my first 5gal batch (a Sierra Nevada Pale clone) has been in primary for two weeks and my FG has been the same (right below target) for 3 days. I was planning to bottle it all tomorrow; however, I was given an ounce of whole leaf Centennial and was wondering if I could bottle half of the batch and put the other half (2.5-3 gal) in a 5gal secondary and dry hop it with the Centennial for a week. I have to go out of town for two weeks at that point, so that's why only 1 week in secondary (3 weeks would be the other option). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

No reason why you couldn't, it'll be a nice comparison for you to see how much Aroma Dry Hopping adds.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
halite
Recipes 

Definitely try the dry-hopping, however I would recommend going for only one week. When dry hopping for longer periods the hops can sometimes impart a grassiness. I normally dry hop for 5-7 days and I get the results I want.

Kegged - Session Stout, Cascade IPA
Bottled - ISO Standard Stout, Steam Punk California, Session Stout

Old 05-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
burtonbaton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it works out in a few weeks!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

You could even leave half in the primary and dry hop there, since the fermentation is done. One less transfer and container to clean.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply