Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Boil time for extract brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #21
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
My hot break is never obvious to me, but I know it happens, because the crud is on the bottom of the pot.
Re Hot break: When you get your boil started and the foam building up settles into the boil (only see wort again) is when you've achieved your hot break.

Quote from Palmer Below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer
A foam will start to rise and form a smooth surface. This is good. If the foam suddenly billows over the side, this is a boil-over (Bad). If it looks like it is going to boil over, either lower the heat or spray the surface with water from a spray bottle. The foam is caused by proteins in the wort that coagulate due to the rolling action of the boil. The wort will continue to foam until the protein clumps get heavy enough to sink back into the pot. You will see particles floating around in the wort. It may look like Egg Drop Soup. This is called the Hot break and may take 5-20 minutes to occur, depending on the amount of protein in your extract. Often the first hop addition triggers a great deal of foaming, especially if hop pellets are used. I recommend waiting until the Hot break occurs before doing your first Hop addition and timing the hour. The extra boiling time won't hurt.

Last edited by DesertBrew; 09-14-2005 at 03:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #22
Gilbey
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This coming from a relative amatuer....... but on advice from this board when I asked about improving clarity of my finished beer I have started to skim all the foam off the top of my wort as it forms in the brew kettle. I have noted a substantial reduction in the volume of "stuff" that gathers on the bottom of the brew pot AND a substantial reduction of the volume of settled out material in my primary when I rack to secondary. And oh, my finished beer clarity is much better.

I am VERY much a "relax, don't worry, have a home brew" type brewer, but it is cool to play around with different techniques and see how they effect my beer!

Gilbey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply