*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > boil size adjustments question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Riter_Odinson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default boil size adjustments question

I'm thinking about trying this recipe for a weizenbock http://www.byo.com/recipe/714.html, but it appears to be for a full 5 gallon boil. I don't have the stuff to do a full boil. What adjustments should I make to do a partial boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Assuming you are doing the extract version and a boil of 2.5 gallons, just delay adding the light malt syrup until 10 minutes before the end of the boil.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

not to butt in...but why wait to add the rest of the malt syrup til the end fo the boil?

i thought you wanted all of the malt exposed to all of the hops, so the malt receives all the hop flavors and aroma equally?

(still learning all the fine points)
Right now I have to use two 12qt brewpots, and I very carefully split all the ingredients equally between the two so I get an almost complete boil and only have to add about 1gallon of cooled water to the fermenter to bring volume to 5gallons.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
not to butt in...but why wait to add the rest of the malt syrup til the end fo the boil?
If you boil the full amount of extract for the full length of the boil, hop utilization will suffer due to the higher gravity of the boil.

By adding extract near he end, you don't have to adjust the hop schedule.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Right on. You have three options. You can do the half-extract addition as suggested above in order to boost hop utilization as if it were a full boil. You can also just increase your bittering hop addition by about 20-25% to compensate for the lower utilization. So, if they want a 1oz, make it 1.25oz. Last you can boil for a little longer. Instead of 60 minutes, go with 75. I'd recommend doing a 2.5 gallon boil and only adding half the extract initially. Stick with the recipe for hop additions, add the second half of the extract with 10 minutes to go. You get the additional benefit of less carmelization which means you'll hit the target SRM more closely.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ok, I understand now. Thanks for the information.

Just wrapping up an Irish Red Ale on the stove. I'll know this for next time.

Is it more preferred to add DME or LME in the last 10 mins? does either mix better at that stage? or is it pretty much the same difference?

Quick Reply