Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > To boil or not to boil Coopers kits?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Dudest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: syracuse, NY
Posts: 128
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

I havent made a ton of brews yet but the ones I have made have never had more than 8 oz of dextrose, that must have been the problem imo.

__________________

When i lived overseas i must have heard this joke a 1000 times "what does american beer and having sex in a canoe have in common? " . Both fu#*n close to water.

Dudest is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: deland, florida
Posts: 240
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

when doing extracts my experience was a 60 minute boil produced darker beers than what i was shooting for like when brewing a hefe or wit or a pale ale.....

came up with this solution which helped quite a bit.

i would begin a seperate pellet hop boil in a closed sauce pan to prevent water & aroma loss......
begin my grain seepage or just plain extract waters at the same time....depending on whether I was grain seeping which takes longer when factoring in the sparge or just doing a plain DME or LME brew i could time it out where the malt was held at 180 - 200 last 20 minutes. if timed correctly the hop had done their 60 minute boil so i would strain off the tea from the sauce pan then rinse the residue with some heated water and add to malt which is approaching 3 gallons by this time.
if the recipe called for aroma i'd just throw those hops in cut heat and cover let stand for 10-15 minutes.
cold crash into 2.5 gallon of icey water carboy setting in an ice bath and WA LA...

my beers were more correct to color and the quality was the same as if i had boiled them for an hour.

this method requires some time management but so will A.G. once you evolve to that level....

hope this helps someone.....

GD

__________________
gizmodog51 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
HomeBeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Default

I can't say I've ever boiled an extract but I don't think you'd see any benefits if you did, when I've used Coopers kits I just shoved them in the fermenter with cold water

HomeBeers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 28,577
Liked 1942 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmodog51 View Post
when doing extracts my experience was a 60 minute boil produced darker beers than what i was shooting for like when brewing a hefe or wit or a pale ale.....

came up with this solution which helped quite a bit.

i would begin a seperate pellet hop boil in a closed sauce pan to prevent water & aroma loss......
begin my grain seepage or just plain extract waters at the same time....depending on whether I was grain seeping which takes longer when factoring in the sparge or just doing a plain DME or LME brew i could time it out where the malt was held at 180 - 200 last 20 minutes. if timed correctly the hop had done their 60 minute boil so i would strain off the tea from the sauce pan then rinse the residue with some heated water and add to malt which is approaching 3 gallons by this time.
if the recipe called for aroma i'd just throw those hops in cut heat and cover let stand for 10-15 minutes.
cold crash into 2.5 gallon of icey water carboy setting in an ice bath and WA LA...

my beers were more correct to color and the quality was the same as if i had boiled them for an hour.

this method requires some time management but so will A.G. once you evolve to that level....

hope this helps someone.....

GD
Some things are wrong here,besides making more work for yourself. Steep & sparge your crushed grains,to get 3 gallons or a bit more of water (i do 3.5G in a 5G kettle). Then add 1.5-2lbs plain DME stiring well to dissolve clumps. Then toss in the bittering addition & start timer for 60 minutes. Then do flavor & aroma additions per recipe in the boil. You can't really steep flavor additions,they must be boiled. I add remaining extracts at flame out stirring to dissolve,cover & steep for a few minutes to pasteurize. since the wort's still boiling hot at this point,& pasteurization happens about 162F,it takes a very short time to accomplish before the wort chill.
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: deland, florida
Posts: 240
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Some things are wrong here,besides making more work for yourself. Steep & sparge your crushed grains,to get 3 gallons or a bit more of water (i do 3.5G in a 5G kettle). Then add 1.5-2lbs plain DME stiring well to dissolve clumps. Then toss in the bittering addition & start timer for 60 minutes. Then do flavor & aroma additions per recipe in the boil. You can't really steep flavor additions,they must be boiled. I add remaining extracts at flame out stirring to dissolve,cover & steep for a few minutes to pasteurize. since the wort's still boiling hot at this point,& pasteurization happens about 162F,it takes a very short time to accomplish before the wort chill.
in the immortal words of RM Nixon..."let me make myself perfectly clear"

hops for bittering (60m) are boiled in the sauce pan of water which is started about 15 minutes before heating the grain water for seepage of grain.....or sooner if just using DME or LME. the hops boil in the water just as they would in wort.
after collecting the sparge /rinse water off the grains if used, then the malt is added to this liquid. i strain the hop tea into the 5gallon pot to avoid all the trub from pellet hops.....if aroma hops are needed, i either throw them in on the last 10 minutes or boil them for in water and add the tea at the end.

the wort usually stays between 170-200 degrees. depending on the style of the product.
i have had success with this method...worth the extra step to achieve very little hop trub in the fermenter and enough hop flavor & aroma for what i'm shooting for.
yes, you are correct, hops must be boiled to rupture the plant cell to release the oils for bittering.

hope i cleared this up...the only extra step is the hop tea boil which is going on as everything else is falling into place....... the hop tea adds about half qt which tops off at 5.5 in the 6 gallon ferments give or take a cup.

cheers,

GD51
__________________
gizmodog51 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 28,577
Liked 1942 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Default

I understand what you said the first time. It's just a little off. I've done hop teas,& they're ok,but you need a little malt to improve the process. And you could just use muslin hop socks to keep the hop trub contained. The hops have to be boiled longer than 15 minutes for bittering,tea water or wort.
So they need to be boiled for not just bittering,but flavor as well. Boil longer for bittering,less for flavor & aroma. & 170-200F isn't boiling...unless you're way high up someplace. So flavor hops boil for 25 down to about 10 minutes. Aroma hops 2-5 minutes left in the boil.
So I understand,nothing to clear up with my understanding. It's just some of the things you're doing make more work or aren't quite correct for excepted brewing,hopping etc practices.

__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
durbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 60
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I couldn't move away from the Coopers kits fast enough. I did 2 of the 'just add water' kits and they turned out terrible. I figured moving on to extract and partials required very little more equipment and the beer I make has vastly improved.

__________________
durbo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #18
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: deland, florida
Posts: 240
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I understand what you said the first time. It's just a little off. I've done hop teas,& they're ok,but you need a little malt to improve the process. And you could just use muslin hop socks to keep the hop trub contained. The hops have to be boiled longer than 15 minutes for bittering,tea water or wort.
So they need to be boiled for not just bittering,but flavor as well. Boil longer for bittering,less for flavor & aroma. & 170-200F isn't boiling...unless you're way high up someplace. So flavor hops boil for 25 down to about 10 minutes. Aroma hops 2-5 minutes left in the boil.
So I understand,nothing to clear up with my understanding. It's just some of the things you're doing make more work or aren't quite correct for excepted brewing,hopping etc practices.
yes you are right, though i do boil (60m) on the bitter hop just in a pan and start the boil 15 minutes a head of the grain seepage water etc, etc...never met a muslin bag that didn't leak pellet hops...now I use voile but i also BIAB too so now the hops are bagged in the wort for the boil.

thanx for sharing some good stuff.........)

GD51
__________________
gizmodog51 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 28,577
Liked 1942 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Default

Just tryin to help. I do get a little of the grainy hop stuff going through the muslin hop sacks,but not very much. Maybe a pinch in the strainer going into the FV. Got my grains & hops out of the fridge & freezer warming up now to start a PM NZ IPA now. I'll finally have all those NZ hops used up that've been in the freezer for months on end.

__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: deland, florida
Posts: 240
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

right behind you.......

my A.G. la petite orange is carbonating and the tripel is waitng patiently in the cooler at 38' to be racked and carbed.
next will be N.B.'s A.G. recipe of their cream ale.
my friend brewed this for his ol'lady and it is an excellent session beer!
introduced it to me yesterday and normally i do not care for clear pale ales of this style, usually too hoppy for me...(except for belgian or german wheat beers).... but this cream ale was amazing......

brew -on!

GD51

__________________
gizmodog51 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making my own Boil kettle: Formula for pre-boil vs post boil anyone? brewjedi General Beer Discussion 4 08-02-2012 04:14 AM
Partial boil kits to Full boil Hockeyhunter99 General Beer Discussion 2 05-14-2011 02:45 AM
Need to boil Coopers liquid malt extract? kanddr Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-28-2011 03:18 AM
So do you boil your coopers kit or not? jaginger Extract Brewing 3 02-22-2010 02:28 AM
Question about full boil vs. partial boil with kits Jaha35 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-29-2009 10:37 PM