Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > boil mistake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
he-brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default boil mistake

Made mistake brewing Northern Brewers Bourbon Porter.Added the liquidmalt at beginning of boil instead of at the last 15 minutes of the boil! (Used to mixing at the beginning like most of the recipes) How much will this affect my beer? Can I do anything to fix it? Still in primary fermenter..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

It won't affect it much at all. The beer may be slightly darker, and your final gravity may be just barely higher than it would have been.

This is because boiling can cause darkening of the malt sugars via maillard reactions (some people call this caramelization, but it's not true caramelization) which leads to slightly less fermentable sugars in your wort.

Apart from a minor difference in color, I'd be surprised if you could tell at all.

Some people say hop utilization can be affected, but I think that's been fairly debunked. Especially with the low hopping rates of porters, your IBUs won't be affected at all.

Edit: just noticed that you're brewing a porter. I take all back- the beer is so dark and malt-forward to begin with, you won't be able to tell the difference.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
he-brewer
Recipes 

Default boil mistake

Thanks! That's what makes this such a great site.Knowledgeable brewers like yourself helping out avid beginners with a wealth of information!

Quick Reply