Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Blood Orange Belgian Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #31
jamesjensen1068
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would use what oranges you can now and then when blood oranges are available brew it again with them and report back the difference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #32
Mandrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I fell in love with the idea of this beer... So I went to my local store and purchased all the ingredients minus the oranges. I bought a White Labs Belgian Wit 2 this summer when it was available so I decided to use it for this brew. But here comes the interesting twist, I couldn't find blood oranges in any of the 5 stores I checked. So instead I bought 4 Pomegranates. What do you guys think?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #33
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Seems like it'd be good flavor-wise. Just watch how much you use. Seens to me it dried my mouth a bit the last time I had one?...

Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #34
Mandrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed the recipe but with 4 Pomegranates.... .

Quote:
Just watch how much you use. Seens to me it dried my mouth a bit the last time I had one?..
Its not enough, when I tasted it after taking the gravity reading, you could taste that it was there but like a foundation. I plan on adding 2 or 3 more a couple days before bottling to brighten it up.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #35
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

So using 4 of them puts the flavor on the back? 5 might be good to bring up the flavor a bit,but not bury the malt/hop flavors.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #36
Mandrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ok, Pom-Wit or Nate-Wit whatever you want to call it

Ok, so to inform from last time I posted... Tonight I Bottled the Pomegranate Witbier tonight. I ended with a OG of 1.012 giving me right around 5%. Fantastic!! So for those who have not read the post I changed the Blood Oranges for Pomegranates. When I brewed I put in the juice of 4 Poms and then put the bag of seeds and whatnot into the fermentation bucket. After fermentation, I was worried about how much flavor I got out of those 4 and to be honest, it tasted pretty good but I bought 4 more and juiced them. When I bottled tonight I used the juice from all 4 and then 2.75 oz of table sugar for priming, I didn't run any calculations but there should be enough sugars in the juice to make up for the rest of the sugars for carbonation. Before the addition of the priming solution it tasted pretty good, a little dry but still a base pom flavor, now it has a kick to it and is very smooth.

I will let you know in a couple weeks how it actually turned out with the carb and everything!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrew View Post
Ok, so to inform from last time I posted... Tonight I Bottled the Pomegranate Witbier tonight. I ended with a OG of 1.012 giving me right around 5%. Fantastic!! So for those who have not read the post I changed the Blood Oranges for Pomegranates. When I brewed I put in the juice of 4 Poms and then put the bag of seeds and whatnot into the fermentation bucket. After fermentation, I was worried about how much flavor I got out of those 4 and to be honest, it tasted pretty good but I bought 4 more and juiced them. When I bottled tonight I used the juice from all 4 and then 2.75 oz of table sugar for priming, I didn't run any calculations but there should be enough sugars in the juice to make up for the rest of the sugars for carbonation. Before the addition of the priming solution it tasted pretty good, a little dry but still a base pom flavor, now it has a kick to it and is very smooth.

I will let you know in a couple weeks how it actually turned out with the carb and everything!
Mandrew,
How did this turn out for you?????

Old 03-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #38
Mandrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
Mandrew,
How did this turn out for you?????
It turned out amazing, everyone I gave it to liked it... they may not have been impressed but they wouldn't turn it down. I put it into a competition and got 31... I think I would have gotten higher if I would have categorized it better. It had the perfect carbonation and very bright pom flavors. As it has aged, it lost the brightness but is still good. But I would suggest it getting drank quickly.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #39
MT8911
Recipes 

I brewed the OP's orange wit on Sunday using WLP400 and hit an OG of 1.056. I usually take a hydrometer sample at 48 hrs and every other time I've been in the 1.010-1.020 range at this time. Today I took a sample and I was at 1.040. Should I be worried? Or does the White Labs yeast take a little longer than Wyeast to act?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #40
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT8911 View Post
I brewed the OP's orange wit on Sunday using WLP400 and hit an OG of 1.056. I usually take a hydrometer sample at 48 hrs and every other time I've been in the 1.010-1.020 range at this time. Today I took a sample and I was at 1.040. Should I be worried? Or does the White Labs yeast take a little longer than Wyeast to act?
Let the WLP400 do it's business. You should get several days of a very agressive fermentation. Mine always spews out a pretty nasty concoction that smells like Satan's Anus. Once it slows down, shake your fermentor a couple times a day to finish it up. I leave mine in the primary for about 18 days, cold crash for 3 days, then keg. I have 10 gallons ageing right now, and i'll be brewing another 10 gallons this weekend. stocking up for summer.

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Quick Reply