Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Big Imperial Coffee Vanilla Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
FCMalan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Big Imperial Coffee Vanilla Stout

Hi Guys!

I am doing a Big Coffee Vanilla Stout at the moment. (19 Liter)

Recipe:

Primary:
1.8 KG Mangrove Jack's Export Stout Extract (Delicious)
1.5 KG DME
500 Grams Dextrose
30 Grams Saaz hops (muslin bag with initial boil)
5 Grams yeast nutrient

Secondary:
60 Grams / 500 ml Cold Brew Coffee.
1 Fresh vanilla Pod. (Bloody expensive!)

Batch Prime:
70 Grams Caramelized brown sugar diluted in 500 ml water. (hopefully impart a caramel flavor)

Yeast:
Safale S-04 (Starter 250 ml starter) I know it is too little. I will re-pitch halfway through fermentation.

Temperature:
20 Degrees Celsius

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.010 (Target)

Any thoughts on this?

attached:

Day 1 of fermentation. (replaced cup bubbler with blowoff tube)

20130615_085035.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 30 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3259

Couple things...
1. I would aim for high FG, .010 could be a little dry for the ~10% beer youll have. If you end at .012-.013 dont be discuraged or try and drop it lower.
2. Your initial pitch of yeast should be measured against wort desity (gravity) and volume. Underpitching can cause off flavors in the beggining of fermentation when its most important to have a healthy colony of yeast, pitching in the middle of fermentation will most likely do nothing since the yeast are already past the lag or growth phase and have done there damage on the beer (fermented hot, underpitched). According to Mr malty you should add another 1/3 of a packet, but you might have gotten away with the starter it it was spinning for a couple hours.
3. You can steep the vanilla bean in some vodka to extract more flavor, coffee amount looks good, might want to up it to ~90grams if you want it more than subtle.
4. Brown sugar IS cane sugar mixed with molasses so theres no need to caramalize it.

Good luck!! Looks like a great recipe
Cheers

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone
FCMalan Likes This 
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
FCMalan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Couple things...
1. I would aim for high FG, .010 could be a little dry for the ~10% beer youll have. If you end at .012-.013 dont be discuraged or try and drop it lower.
2. Your initial pitch of yeast should be measured against wort desity (gravity) and volume. Underpitching can cause off flavors in the beggining of fermentation when its most important to have a healthy colony of yeast, pitching in the middle of fermentation will most likely do nothing since the yeast are already past the lag or growth phase and have done there damage on the beer (fermented hot, underpitched). According to Mr malty you should add another 1/3 of a packet, but you might have gotten away with the starter it it was spinning for a couple hours.
3. You can steep the vanilla bean in some vodka to extract more flavor, coffee amount looks good, might want to up it to ~90grams if you want it more than subtle.
4. Brown sugar IS cane sugar mixed with molasses so theres no need to caramalize it.

Good luck!! Looks like a great recipe
Cheers

Great!

Thanks for the advice, I will adjust accordingly.

Quick Reply