Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Best type of brew pot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
SpecialEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best type of brew pot?

I m an extract brewer and using a 5 gal boil pot which means I boil 3.5 gallons and add the rest to bring water up to 5 gal. Does doing a full 5 gallon boil help the flavor a lot? Whats the bets type of pot to use? A lot of people use an old keg (keggle), can get on ebay for $75, or I can get a 9gal pot with a spigot and thermometer for $130 shipped.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEd
I m an extract brewer and using a 5 gal boil pot which means I boil 3.5 gallons and add the rest to bring water up to 5 gal. Does doing a full 5 gallon boil help the flavor a lot? Whats the bets type of pot to use? A lot of people use an old keg (keggle), can get on ebay for $75, or I can get a 9gal pot with a spigot and thermometer for $130 shipped.
No, full boils wont' help your flavor a lot. You can do a full boil, and you'll get better hops utilization. But, I've done partial boils and full boils and no one could tell the difference. To improve your brews, do a partial mash or go AG. Now, extract brewing gives a fine beer- don't get me wrong! But for more consistent flavor or "help the flavor a lot", that's the direction to head.

If you want to buy a new expensive pot, go ahead. I don't want to dissuade you. It will not hurt and might help! But for more flavor, I'd go with steeping grains, partial mash, or all-grain (in that order). Even in AG, I don't have a big enough pot/burner, so I split my boil into two pots. Not ideal- but it works for me. I just don't want you to feel that you have to buy a new pot to get better beer unless you actually want to buy a new pot!

(I've been drinking tonight, so if that doesn't make much sense, I'll try to fix it in the morning)

PS- I love your id name- not politically correct but I think it's great!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
SpecialEd
Recipes 

Thanks Yooper. I appreciate the full answer reply, always nice to hear from the female brewers too. Thanks, lol, the name has a great story behind it (im a physicist).
I already steep so it sounds like I need to head the allgrain or partial mash direction. Ive read that partial mash is a good comprimise on time and equipment, any opinions on this?

Last edited by SpecialEd; 02-27-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I already steep so it sounds like I need to head the allgrain or partial mash direction. Ive read that partial mash is a good comprimise on time and equipment, any opinions on this?
Definitely try PM if you already steep. You probably have all the equipment you need already. I really enjoyed PM brewing, and it taught me the techniques for all-grain brewing. I have done small 3 gallon AG batches using my PM equipment, and now I am pumped to try bigger (5 - 10 gallon) AG batches. PM brewing is a good 'intermediate' step, and it will help you to decide if you want to do full AG brewing.

If you haven't seen it already, here is a great article to get you going (and there is also lots of good advice on this site if you surf around).
http://www.byo.com/feature/1536.html

Old 02-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks Yooper. I appreciate the full answer reply, always nice to hear from the female brewers too. Thanks, lol, the name has a great story behind it (im a physicist).
I do "mini mash's" with full extract boils. It only makes sense to me that doing a full boil will lend a better brew...no real rhyme or reason..it just makes sense to me.
I wanted to get a bigger pot because I plan on going all grain. If I wasn't, I wouldn't invest the money. Beer, beer and more beer gave me the best deal on a 10 gal pot. Not the cheapest, but the best deal. I suggest checking them out, or if you can; get your hands on a used keg and convert it. That's the cheapest way to go.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 02-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #6
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i use a cheap 20qt ceramic coated pot with no problems. Just turn off the gas while you slowly add in the extract, and then back to flame on. Be gentle with the pot and it'll last you a good number of brews. I'm probably gonna wait till I see a good deal on a stainless steel pot for down the road, but until them the ceramic coated steelie works good enough.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Castle Meadow Brewery
Hop Head
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I found an incredible pot at Walmart. It's 22qt. stainless steel. The bottom is 3 ply w/ an aluminum core to allow use on induction stove tops. The darn thing has to weigh close to 10 lbs. Price was $49.95. It's awesome...

ON DECK: Firestone Double Barrel ale

Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely think that full boils make a very noticeable difference in a beer. Perhaps it’s not so much the flavor as the mouth-feel.

I did a couple of partial boils before moving to full wort boils and they had a watery quality to them that just wasn't present in my full boils. I've been able to pick out the same quality in partial boils done by others as well – even before knowing they were partials.

If you can do it, I think that full wort boils are a great way to improve your beer. Besides, it’s a nice first step towards going all grain! You will, however, need a way to chill your wort besides an ice bath. Typically, people use an immersion chiller.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
SpecialEd
Recipes 

Cool. I already use an immersion wort chiller, first extra piece I bought. IS there a good partialmash tutorial or somehting out there?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
Hercules Rockefeller
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I found an article about this in BYO http://www.byo.com/feature/1536.html. I have yet to try this technique but it seems like a good technique.

"let me be the first to welcome our new insectile overlords"

On deck: Breakfast stout
Primary: Empty
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Imperial red ale, Breakfast stout, Chipotle Irish red ale, Biermuncher's C3C cream ale

Quick Reply