The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Best pumpkin ale kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #31
kmac666
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM
I did the AHS Extract Pumkin Kit about a month ago. I added two 29 oz. cans of spiced Libby's Pumpkin Pie mix straight to the grain bag. The beer is REALLY good right now, but I'm going to condition it until September, and it should end up that much better!
Cool. Thx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #32
kmac666
Recipes 

Quote:
I did the AHS Extract Pumkin Kit about a month ago. I added two 29 oz. cans of spiced Libby's Pumpkin Pie mix straight to the grain bag. The beer is REALLY good right now, but I'm going to condition it until September, and it should end up that much better!
So just a clarification question, did you steep the pumpkin with grains for the 2o minutes or did you drop the pumpkin in during the boil?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #33
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I steeped the pumpkin with the grains in the grain bag. The AHS instructions said not to add SPICED pumpkin mix, but that's exactly what I used along with their spice kit that goes in the hop boil (I forget where, I think the last 15 min), and I really thing I have a nicely balanced pumpkin ale with a spice that is very present, but doesn't overwhelm the character of the beer.

Good luck in your brew!

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #34
kmac666
Recipes 

Quote:
I steeped the pumpkin with the grains in the grain bag. The AHS instructions said not to add SPICED pumpkin mix, but that's exactly what I used along with their spice kit that goes in the hop boil (I forget where, I think the last 15 min), and I really thing I have a nicely balanced pumpkin ale with a spice that is very present, but doesn't overwhelm the character of the beer.

Good luck in your brew!
Perfect, thx

Old 06-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #35
letsgocapitals
Recipes 

Just picked up http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10886

Went with the White Labs yeast. 1% ABV boost. And will try some of the pumpkin, cinnamon additions you guys are talking about. Really excited to get this.

And, yes, I'm a noob. First batch was a 60 Minute clone from Annapolis Home Brew. That's in the bottle and is quite tasty. Just brewed a standard amber as well from said HBS. That just went from the primary (three weeks) to the bottle for some conditioninig. From what I've read, the secondary isn't necessary for most brews. And my first batch was clean enough for me!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #36
heeler
Recipes 

I've read I'n other places that it's the spice flavor that's the secret ingredient not the pumpkin. The pumpkin meat adds no real flavor so get a pumpkin pie beer kit and spice it up to your liking----- you know , brown sugar-cinnamon-the pie recipe spices.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #37
NMG318
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am thinking about brewing a Pumpkin Ale in a couple of weeks. Has anyone just put a can of pumpkin right in the boil pot or is it best to put it in a nylon bag? If you do the whirlpool at the end of the boil (like you do to get the hops sludge to the middle of the pot) does this prevent the pumpkin sludge from ending up in the fermentor?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #38
WhineinAlbany
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone ever tried a kit that ale that actually emphasizes the squashy flavor of the pumpkin rather than the spices? I can't get myself to like most microbrew versions, because it ends up just burning my tongue. The last one I tried was the Smuttynose version, and it was just plain nasty! I had trouble giving the stuff away! Maybe it was the hops? It's been a while (3 years) since I've given another one a chance.

Quick Reply