Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Best online ingredient source?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
zonabb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best online ingredient source?

My LHBS is very expensive and buying from them really makes no sense when buying a larger order. I think I can save money on a larger online order even with shipping.

I've seen the usual suspects.. Williams, Northern, etc. Anyone have a smaller LHBS online that has decent prices. My LHBS, for example, has 3lbs od DME for about $12, which is a dollar more than Williams.

I'm not being cheap but if the intent of the homebrewer is to brew great beer at a reduced rate, why let the popularity of this craft allow people to gouge you for ingrediants?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Big Al

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

try austinhomebrew.com they have good prices and the shipping for $5.99 you can't beat. Plus they are pretty quick to ship an order.

Primary - If it's not Scottish it's CRAP Ale
Primary Imperial IPA
Secondary -
Bottled and drinking: Hey!Hey! IPA, Land of Oz Barleywine #2, Caramel Creme Ale, Red Stripe Lager Clone

RIP: Oatmeal Stout, Octoberfestivus, 777 RPA, Fat Tire Clone (1st AG), Experimental Honey Brown

Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I use Northern Brewer all the time; shipping rates are fair, base prices are fair, service has been great. Williams has always struck me as VERY expensive, and I've heard lots of bad things about morebeer's customer service (takes a while for orders to be processed and there tend to be a lot of errors). Austin and NB seem to be among the best, and I've heard good things about MidWest as well.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
zonabb
Recipes 

That's a good start and valuable info!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm prone to morebeer.com for ingredients and I use leisure-time.com for brew kits.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used midwest and morebeer. Morebeer takes a week from when I order it to when I get it. It's quick enough for me as long as I plan my brewdays ahead of time, plus shipping's free on orders over $60.

I also see a lot of positive things about Austin homebrew and northern brewer on the forums, so you should be fine with any of those.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

MoreBeer roxxors. i live near them, but don't usually drive out there, just order. They've always shipped out the same day i order and it gets to me the next day.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
GoatFarmersInternational
Recipes 

Yeah, Austin HB, Northern Brewer, morebeer.com (it bothers me that morebeer doesn't sell wyeast, though, and it seems like they have a poor selection of dry yeasts too) have all been good to me. I've never ordered from Williams, but I agree with Bird that most of their stuff seems overpriced. If you are going to order liquid yeast you might want to order from whichever is closer to you.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
usnsti

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do understand wanting to save a few dollars, but if we all do that, the convenience of actually having a LHBS might go away. Just imagine if you ever forgot, lost, or broke something in the middle of a brew session and couldn't just run down and get a new airlock, siphon tube, yeast packet, or whatever.

That is the only reason I support the LHBS, because yes, they are consistently a few dollars higher than the internet prices.

Just my $.02

Drinking- Water
Primary- Empty
Secondary- Strong Dark and Belgian

Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I usually order from The Grape and Granary. There prices are usually close to the other online stores and because they are within 60 miles of myself shipping is very quick. Standard shipping will usually get me ingredients in 1-2 days.
I also frequent my LHBS but I usually only buy small home brewing ingredients there and pick up a few different beers to try (my LHBS is also a beer store with an awesome selection).
Craig

Quick Reply