The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Belgian Wit Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
cdanprice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 40
Default Belgian Wit Questions

I'm about to try a Belgian Wit, but I am a little confused.

I ordered an hefeweizen kit, but had the supplier substitute the white labs 400 (belgian wit) yeast for the hefeweizen yeast. However, I didn't think about the hops. He supplied 3/4 oz Mt. Hood hops for bittering, and 1/5 oz. Cascade for aroma. Most of the recipes for wits call for haltertau or saaz. Should I hunt down one of these, or will it really make that big of a difference?

Also, I plan to use coriander and orange peel. Where do I get the orange peel? I know dried orange peel can be bought, but can I just peel an orange and use that? Do I use all parts of the peel, or do I have to scrape some of it off? It seems like the white part of the peel would be too bitter...

__________________
cdanprice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Dextersmom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shelton, CT
Posts: 306
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I'm still a bit of a noob but my next brew I was thinking about doing another Wit and using the zest of an orange and a little lemon and maybe a little lime zest as well. I was gonna add it to my boil with about 5 minutes left.

as for the hops i'm not sure...it might be worth just doing a quick search. you can often find what hops are good for what and what kind of accents they'll impart on your beer.

__________________
Planning: Christmas Ale, Vaderade: Strikes Back
3Gal Carboy: StarSan
Primary: StarSan
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Priming / Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Empty

Gallons Brewed This Year: 0
Dextersmom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
discgolfin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago, Il.
Posts: 635
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanprice
I'm about to try a Belgian Wit, but I am a little confused.

I ordered an hefeweizen kit, but had the supplier substitute the white labs 400 (belgian wit) yeast for the hefeweizen yeast. However, I didn't think about the hops. He supplied 3/4 oz Mt. Hood hops for bittering, and 1/5 oz. Cascade for aroma. Most of the recipes for wits call for haltertau or saaz. Should I hunt down one of these, or will it really make that big of a difference?

Also, I plan to use coriander and orange peel. Where do I get the orange peel? I know dried orange peel can be bought, but can I just peel an orange and use that? Do I use all parts of the peel, or do I have to scrape some of it off? It seems like the white part of the peel would be too bitter...
Well couple things a Hefe yeast will be a bit different than a belgian wit yeast. The hefe yeast will give more clove and banana flavors..the wit will not..In a wit beer spices like coriander, orange peel ect. can be used. I would get any coriander from any store..crush of course..I like 1/3 to 1/2 an ounce last 15 minutes of boil. The orange can be dried from a brew shop..or better than that use a fresh good orange or tangerine or both and peel 1 oz and use that. the white will bitter for sure so scrape outside only. Cascade is fine..what is the IBU of the Mt Hood?

Jay
__________________

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

discgolfin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
cdanprice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfin
The orange can be dried from a brew shop..or better than that use a fresh good orange or tangerine or both and peel 1 oz and use that. the white will bitter for sure so scrape outside only. Cascade is fine..what is the IBU of the Mt Hood?

Jay
I'm not sure about the IBU of the Mt. Hood hops, the bag they came in is just a clear baggie with a white label that gives type and weight.

So, you're saying just take the orange zest, or just scrape as much of the white stuff off of the back of the peel as possible, and throw in the peel?
__________________
cdanprice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
FatDuc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatDuc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Leland, NC
Posts: 1,624
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanprice
...So, you're saying just take the orange zest, or just scrape as much of the white stuff off of the back of the peel as possible, and throw in the peel?
One word for the proper tool: Microplane. Nothing zests like one. Should be available at Target, or many places online, like Amazon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Every brewer here would tuck in his junk to have this opportunity.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets
FatDuc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
discgolfin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago, Il.
Posts: 635
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanprice
I'm not sure about the IBU of the Mt. Hood hops, the bag they came in is just a clear baggie with a white label that gives type and weight.

So, you're saying just take the orange zest, or just scrape as much of the white stuff off of the back of the peel as possible, and throw in the peel?

Yep..last 10 to 20 minutes..I would make a batch with 1/2 to 1 oz for starters and see how u like it. If it is not enough you can always add a bit more..if it is too much you are stuck with what u have,
Mt Hood is usually a bit lower so it should be fine..What do you like for spices? I have done too much coriander and it can easily overpower anything else so start with 1/2 to 1/3 oz.IMO

I have read chamomille is good in a wit and plan to try this in the near future.

Jay
__________________

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

discgolfin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
cdanprice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfin
Yep..last 10 to 20 minutes..I would make a batch with 1/2 to 1 oz for starters and see how u like it. If it is not enough you can always add a bit more..if it is too much you are stuck with what u have,
Mt Hood is usually a bit lower so it should be fine..What do you like for spices? I have done too much coriander and it can easily overpower anything else so start with 1/2 to 1/3 oz.IMO

I have read chamomille is good in a wit and plan to try this in the near future.

Jay
I'm still fairly new at this, so I haven't experimented with a wit yet. I have however tasted several commercial wits, and I like the taste of the coriander, but I see how it could be overpowering. I also would like a pretty strong contribution from the orange. I was planning to use only about a half ounce of the coriander, and maybe an ounce or two of orange.

I can expect the flavor of the orange zest to be relatively sweet, right? I've seen references to sweet orange peel and bitter orange peel.
__________________
cdanprice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Dextersmom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shelton, CT
Posts: 306
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
One word for the proper tool: Microplane. Nothing zests like one. Should be available at Target, or many places online, like Amazon.
+1
I have one of those and I use it on everything from zesting to grinding up garlic and ginger to fresh grating parmesean cheese. they work wonders in the kitchen.
__________________
Planning: Christmas Ale, Vaderade: Strikes Back
3Gal Carboy: StarSan
Primary: StarSan
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Priming / Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Empty

Gallons Brewed This Year: 0
Dextersmom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
cdanprice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 40
Default

I went to the microplane website, and they have several models. Do you use the fine grater? It says that one is good for zesting...
And on that note, do you "plane" the peel down until you start to see white? How far into the peel do you go?

__________________
cdanprice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Dextersmom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shelton, CT
Posts: 306
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

i usually don't go down to the white....i stop when it looks like a mixed pale orangey whiteish.

__________________
Planning: Christmas Ale, Vaderade: Strikes Back
3Gal Carboy: StarSan
Primary: StarSan
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Priming / Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Empty

Gallons Brewed This Year: 0
Dextersmom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belgian Wit questions TurboBrew General Techniques 10 03-19-2009 11:23 PM
questions about belgian strong ale android Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 02-12-2009 03:10 PM
Belgian Wit Questions BPD Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 11-15-2008 07:01 PM
Belgian Wit - First time questions ChewUrBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 38 09-15-2008 12:13 AM
Belgian Wit questions BoxerDog Extract Brewing 13 05-25-2007 12:28 PM