Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Belgian Strong Ale Comments Please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #21
maida7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
1 degree every 24 hours? I don't have that kind of control. What do you use? I just have a small room that stays at 68 and a brew belt if I need it.
68 room temp will have the start of fermentation too hot. This is a hard beer to make without good temp control. Start too hot and you will have crazy esters and hot alcohols. End cold and you will problems with attenuation. It's a huge beer that is very dependent on yeast flavors and a dry finish.

I use a fridge with a ranco digital controller. My controller has dual out put and can control both heating and cooling. I use a heating pad to warm things. I got the fridge used for 30.00 The controller was about 120.00 and the heating pad I already had.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #22
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I generally pitch very cool, about 5F below the recommended range for the yeast. It usually takes 2-3 days for the temperature to climb to the top of the range for the yeast. This has been working very well for me, it's cool when the yeast is propagating and warm for it to finish very dry. The Belgian Dark Strong I have in the fermenter right now has gone from 1.095 to 1.006. 11.25% now.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 View Post
I generally pitch very cool, about 5F below the recommended range for the yeast. It usually takes 2-3 days for the temperature to climb to the top of the range for the yeast.
That sounds like a good idea too.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #24
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sorry for the late reply.. But thanks for the input..
To answer the threads
1> I am trying to make a Golden Strong Ale (if it is more Amber I am OK with this)
2> I can control the temp with a Swamp-Cooler starting in the low 60's and working up to mid 70's over a 7 day period
3> Expected OG1079 and FG1008 with ABV 9.4%
4>Recipe from zymurgy Vol32#6 page16 .. a Coopers LME & DME recipe with the other items added.
I hope this answers everyones questions.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #25
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
68 room temp will have the start of fermentation too hot. This is a hard beer to make without good temp control. Start too hot and you will have crazy esters and hot alcohols. End cold and you will problems with attenuation. It's a huge beer that is very dependent on yeast flavors and a dry finish.
Now we are only specifically talking about belgian strongs here, right? I have no problem brewing most ales with WLP001 in this room with no bad results from the temp. I did however do a Wit recently which isn't conditioned yet but tasting it while checking the SG it seemed fine. But then again, it wasn't a strong beer.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #26
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I disagree. Just chill the wort to 59F, pitch the yeast and let it rise. The temperature range for Wyeast 1388 is 64-80° F. A 68F room will be just fine.

Quick Reply