HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Belgian with possible off flavorHey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
azingsheim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian with possible off flavorHey

Hey gang, Made a Belgian Trappist ale and have a situation. 7 days primary, 4 weeks secondary. Trappist style, 6 lbs. pilsen lme, 1 lb. clear candi sugar, 3787 wyeast Trappist yeast. Bottled with standard amount of priming sugar and bottled 2 weeks ago saturday. opened 1 up just to check it out after 7 days ( i know early, but just checking) and the beer had a very wierd "boozy" harsh aftertaste to it.

I am by by no means an expert on Belgians and was looking for something new and tried it. The initial taste of the beer is ok, a little sweet with some banana and clove, but this aftertaste comes out of no where. Will this go away? Is this how this style shuld be? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, that aftertaste should mellow with time. Belgians often take a WHILE to age right; I have a belgian golden heavy that I aged for three years before it hit its prime.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
azingsheim
Recipes 

WOW. Guess I won't be drinking this horse for awile. Like I said it was good, just a little off with that floavor.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Could still be a little yeasty after only a week in the bottle. Belgian yeast tend to produce slightly larger amounts of higher order alcohols.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Only seven days in the primary? Seems a little fast to me. I'm sitting on a Belgian Golden Strong that's been in the primary for three weeks. How did you add the sugar; in the boil or a few days after pitching?

I'll secondary this for another two weeks before bottling and then letting it sit for at least two months before trying a bottle.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
JBmadtown
Recipes 

With 6lb LME and 1 lb candy sugar your OG was probably low to mid 1.050's right? That would probably put you in the realm of a belgian table beer. For the lower gravity belgian your current timeline seems about right. I did one with a similar recipe and at 6 weeks from brewing it was pretty good.

What temps did you ferment at? Fusel alcohols can occur when the temps are too high. From what I have read they may not age out very easily.

That being said seach Revvy "of patience and bottle conditioning". Give it a few weeks and try another, I think you will be pleased.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
azingsheim
Recipes 

i did ferment well under the max temp. OG was about 1.053. My basement was about 68-70 degrees, but I kept it in the swamp cooler the whole time. I think I was just over reacting to it being a little green.

Quick Reply