Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Belgian IPA and late extract addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
dmadelung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian IPA and late extract addition

I plan on doing my 2nd extract batch this weekend. I ordered the Belgian IPA from Midwest Supplies. I have been reading that late additions can be a good thing, but I am unsure as to how much to hold off and how late to add it as this includes both LME and DME. Can someone help me out with the amount and timing?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media...structions.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
sendkyleanemail
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Put the LME in at 15 minutes. You'll get a bit more hop derived bitterness out of the recipe that way and a little less of the darker colors associated with LME. BTW, I just bottled a Belgian IPA inspired by Le Freak from Green Flash. Whoa...is it ever gonna be good!! I used T-58!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
dmadelung
Recipes 

So just boil the DME for 60 and the LME for the last 15?

I got the T-58 but I think I am going to go with a the Wyeast 3522.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/w...-ardennes.html

Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your DME and LME timing is right. You could probably wait until flameout to add the LME, as the heat is still high enough to kill any bugs, but 15 is fine. Pull the pot off the heat before adding the LME to avoid scorching, and watch that pot like a hawk when it goes back on the burner for boil overs.

Wyeast 3522 is a nice Belgian workhorse. If you keep it in the mid to high 60s for the entire fermentation period, it will give you subtle notes. If you pitch in the mid 60s and then let it rise slowly into the mid 70s (OK for a Belgian yeast), you can get more attenuation and more Belgian character. Get a blow off tube ready- this stuff gets going.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
dmadelung
Recipes 

The kit came with only 1lb of DME and 6lb of LME. That means I would only be boiling 1b of extract and adding 6lb at the end. That ratio seems very strong towards the late addition.

I will try to get it down to the 60's before I pitch. Would you recommend a starter? I do plan on picking up a carboy and blow off set up just for this brew as my last brew I just used a bucket.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It seems odd, but it works. For a while, people believed that the gravity of your wort had a direct correlation to hop utilization, and that boiling with such a small amount of extract in your beer was going to throw your IBUs off. This theory has generally been rejected. You should be fine boiling with only the pound of DME.

If you are pitching liquid yeast into five gallons of beer, a starter is generally advisable. Read the articles at Mr Malty for the whole explanation of when you need a starter, but I suspect you will want one here.

If you already have a bucket and want to save some money, it is easy enough to rig a blow off tube to the bucket. Just buy a three piece airlock, cut off the small X shaped bit of plastic on the bottom, remove the cap and the floating piece, and affix sanitized plastic tubing to the airlock's inner valve. Run that tubing to a growler full of sanitizer, put the airlock in the bucket lid as normal, and you should be good. This works best if you have extra headroom in the bucket.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2265 Times on 1973 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

I typically use 1.5lb of plain DME in a 2.5-3 gallon partial boil. Having only 1lb is ok,barely. Maybe add .5lb od the LME,saving the remaining 5.5lbs for flame out. I always add the LME at flame out with DME in the boil for hop additions. But in your case you're a little light on DME.
So the extra bit of LME should even out hop untilization a lil bit. Steep the hot wort after adding the remaining LME covered for 15 minutes. Pasteurization happens at 162F,& the wort is still 180F+. Pasteurization is said to happen in seconds,but I prefer the 15 minute wait to be thorough & let it cool a hair more. It's still a bit above pasteurization temp when it gets the cold water then ice bath.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
dmadelung
Recipes 

I will also be doing a full boil and not a partial. Will that up the initial extract amount?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
dmadelung
Recipes 

Also for the yeast starter should I use the DME that I came with the kit or should I purchase more DME?

Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2265 Times on 1973 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Yeah,you can use more extract in a full boil. Never did a full boil myself. But I'd get another pound of light DME for starts.

Quick Reply