Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Belgian Dubbel Off Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
lawlessamps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Dubbel Off Taste

I just brewed the Dubbel Your Pleasure Ale from JOHB by Charlie P. While there is no burn marks on the bottom I taste a bitterness. I thought I smelled a wee bit while it was boiling so I tasted it and it hits the back of the tongue with a bitterness like a burn. I did the recipe exactly except for a hit of .25oz Mt Hood for the last 15 mins. I wanted to use them up. I always lower the flame when adding LME and stir constantly and vigorously. I dont see any black specks in the strainer either. Could the bitterness be from a 2month old, opened bag of Mt Hood hops? or Could you burn the malt without any evidence but the taste?

Or should I get the pot still built to distill after fermentation?

Such a letdown.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
lawlessamps
Recipes 

Boy its tough getting a response here. Oh well I found some interesting threads here and elsewhere. I never used to taste the wort when done boiling and maybe I should have. The consensus is wort tastes like crap. Super sweet with the back end being extremely bitter. Exactly my situation. Thats probably why making bread with the spent yeast tastes very bitter. Thanks anyway.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
lawlessamps
Recipes 

Oh well no one replied but I am going to update this brew. The off taste must have been from the briess traditional dark. It needed to meld with all the different ingredients. I left it in the fermenter because I thought I burned the extract and didn't want to jam up a keg space in the fridge with a f##ked up brew. I finally kegged and force carbed and what a brew! Fantastic and what an ass kicker. So just FYI for newbies. Don't judge your brew from the wort or even after 2 weeks of fermentation. Pappy pappazian says this brew ages really well and I hope to let this brew age a bit in the keg but I just kicked my Belgian wit and the next wit is on its 3rd day of ferment. Patience is so hard with good beer.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 362 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I was going to say that dubbels take a long time to smooth out, months in my experience. But very worth the wait.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm sure your beer will be good in a keg, but Belgian higher gravity beers do very well aged in bottles. No need to take up keg space with a beer that may actually be better in a bottle than a keg. I say bottle it if you can. Good to hear it came out well.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
I was going to say that dubbels take a long time to smooth out, months in my experience. But very worth the wait.
+1.

I've got a dubbel at 2 months in the bottles that's just now starting to taste like I want it to. Another few weeks and it should be legit.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Babybatch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Hey man! I appreciate the record of events that you have documented for the sake of us n00bs! I plan on doing a Dubbel some day so this is extremely helpful. I will remember your sage advice which you wrangled through unanswered posts to attain.

"A man could work his whole life towards trying to make the ultimate quad and it would not be wasted." - saq

Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 249

"back of the tongue bitterness" sounds like astringency. does the recipe call for any steeping grains? any chance you steeped those at too high a temp?

congrats on making a tasty beer. here's another +1 to big, complex beers needing time to sort themselves out. for example, if the astringency was from grain tannin extraction, that will fade a little with time. other that IIPAs/DIPAs, big beers should be given weeks if not months to age.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
BousDeuce
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlessamps View Post
Oh well no one replied but I am going to update this brew. The off taste must have been from the briess traditional dark. It needed to meld with all the different ingredients. I left it in the fermenter because I thought I burned the extract and didn't want to jam up a keg space in the fridge with a f##ked up brew. I finally kegged and force carbed and what a brew! Fantastic and what an ass kicker. So just FYI for newbies. Don't judge your brew from the wort or even after 2 weeks of fermentation. Pappy pappazian says this brew ages really well and I hope to let this brew age a bit in the keg but I just kicked my Belgian wit and the next wit is on its 3rd day of ferment. Patience is so hard with good beer.
Thank you for this update!
I tasted my belgian dubbel (NB) when racking to secondary and it tasted like you described. I was worried but figured it would all work out in the end. Now I cant wait for it to be bottled conditioned and ready for drinking!

-Danny

Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Osamabinbbq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlessamps View Post
Don't judge your brew from the wort or even after 2 weeks of fermentation.
This really is hard to stick to!! My first batch was a belgian dubbel similar to yours and yesterday was the 2 week mark in the bottles. I wanted to try one just to see the change over the months. I noticed that it has a sharp flavor to it that I cant really put my finger on i think similar to the bitterness you are taking about, it doesn't taste bad just…off. Is this something I should expect round off over time?

Quick Reply