LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
songe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Belgain Wit dark color

Uuhm, yeh im kinda a noob at brewing :P But hey! learning by doing!

So i started a 5.2gal batch of wit beer 6 days ago! and this is kit beer1 (Havn't got the space for all grain yet*!)

I took a FG reading since the air lock stopped bubbeling. (yes i know i shouldn't be looking at that) but i got a tight seal, so i took a reading to see how far it had gone. Though what i found odd was that the color was more like a pale ale!

just wondering then! it started at 1062 OG and after 6 days it has reached 1052... I thought wit beers fermented Farley quick?

i added a can of LME wheat 1.8kg. Dunno if this has anything to do with the color?

** The taste is fantastic tho!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I bet that's where the color is coming from, the what extract. Was there any other crystal? What kind of yeast did you use, and what temp are you fermenting at?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
songe
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Don't really know what you mean by crystal? Im only brewing kit beers you need to add water and yeast to brew beer from! :P

im using the WLP400 yeast

Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by songe
Don't really know what you mean by crystal? Im only brewing kit beers you need to add water and yeast to brew beer from! :P

im using the WLP400 yeast
What kit is this? Is it hopped extract? If everything is added in the extract, then my guess that's where the color is from, and if it was boiled the whole time, that could contribute to the darker color. No biggie, my hefe I made in July was pretty dark but tasted awesome.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
songe
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Don't rally know what you Americans call those kits.. but it is hops in it an all. but you don't need to boil it!

Another thing, Is there a limit to the OG before the yeast won't fully take of? (I had an OG of 1062 ish) Its been 6 days now, and i had to add a blowoff tube to my fermenter.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
sweed
Recipes 

Silly Americans we are, but I am all swedish background, so we are technically neightbors!

It sounds like a Mr.Beer type brewing kit. Once you get into the higher OG's, 1.060 and higher, a yeast starter is recommended to get a healthy fermentation going right away. It sounds like your yeast and fermentation is taking off finally, it might hav been wise to add 2 packets of yeast. ( I am guessing that kit only gave you 1 dry packet of yeast?)

If you eventually get a bigger brewing kit for a bigger 5 gallon amount, then you can start working on the color and hops, and all that good stuff.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
songe
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hehe :P cheers! no this is no cheap crappy kit. Its a firm in norway that makes them themselvs! they are really good tasting beers too! What i did; one can of the beer extract kit, 1.8kg LME wheat and 250g ish DME wheat, used approx 250g for the yeaststarter i made . The thing tho! i had to move my carboy and there is allot more activity in it now

Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by songe View Post
I took a FG reading since the air lock stopped bubbeling. (yes i know i shouldn't be looking at that) but i got a tight seal, so i took a reading to see how far it had gone. Though what i found odd was that the color was more like a pale ale!
the LME explains part of the color. the other is the yeast: it's still in suspension in the beer. let it sit for another week or so, and ideally cold-crash it for a few days afterwards, and you'll see that the brew will change color as the yeast drop out.

Quote:
just wondering then! it started at 1062 OG and after 6 days it has reached 1052... I thought wit beers fermented Farley quick?
are you sure about that? dropping only 10 points over a week seems next to impossible. i could understand being stuck at 1.030, but 1.052? are you sure you read the hydrometer properly? what temperature are you fermenting at? how much yeast did you pitch?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
used approx 250g for the yeaststarter i made . The thing tho! i had to move my carboy and there is allot more activity in it now
glad to hear things have taken off.

250 gr of DME for a starter - did you make a 2.5 liter starter? that's a really big starter for a 5 gallon/19 liter batch! the rule for starters is 100 gr DME for 1 liter, so if you used 250 gr then you must have made 2.5 L...

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
songe
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

yeeah about that :P this is my second batch brewing with fresh yeast! The first one foamed all over my place after 12h, this one is foaming like hell right now :P

Im gonna use Mrmalty for my xmas brew.

Quick Reply