Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > beer won't clear

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
DAAB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's perfectly acceptable to bottle a beer made with an ale yeast after 7 days as long as fermentation is complete although some may argue that leaving it a little longer in the primary or possibly using a secondary will have taste benefits.
Yeast will remain in suspension as long as there are available sugars, sometimes even when they have given up the ghost. I suspect you used the 5g packet that comes tucked under the lid, these can be months or even years old and wont be in the best of health and as 5g isn't anywhere near enough to ferment a 23L batch the yeast would have been under a great deal of strain, particularly if you used an all malt recipe. It may not have been up to the job.
If this is the case then swirling the yeast in the bottle may help it flocc and eventually sediment out, particularly if you put it some where cool.
Another possibility is a wild yeast got into your beer and it was the wild yeast that fermented it. These are unlikely to settle out as beer yeasts are selected for their sedimentation properties. Have a taste of the beer, it should taste like beer even if it is a little cloudy still. If it does, persevere with it and try swirling the bottles as I suggested.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
minexplorer
Recipes 

thanks for the advice everyone.have put into demijohns and it is indeed still fermenting so i think problem solved.i must add though that in the past ive always bottled from the primary once showing signs of clearing and below 1010 and always cleared in the bottles in a couple days.must be this particular yeast.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I guess it depends on your own quality standards. I wouldn't even bottle a hefe until it's been in primary for a week after I hit my FG. Homebrewing isn't for the impatient. I promise you, leaving it in primary for 3 weeks before bottling will not hurt and will definitely help taste/clarity. I don't know why kit instructions encourage such rushing.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nothing to do with quality standards, the issue was the beer wouldn't clear. An ale that has reached it's predicted FG and bottled will clear of it's own accords. Some say an extended period in the primary is beneficial to allow the yeast to clean up and I subscribe to this theory although it only takes a matter of days, not weeks. Others believe that maturing a beer in bulk whether it be in the primary or a secondary has benefits, again I think there is some merit in this although depending on the yeast strain it may need reinoculating before bottling. None of this has any bearing on the final clarity though, in fact if anything it will clear quicker in the bottle than it will in a bucket as the sediment doesn't have as far to travel.

Quote:
i must add though that in the past ive always bottled from the primary once showing signs of clearing and below 1010 and always cleared in the bottles in a couple days.must be this particular yeast.
The yeast and the recipe used, if you have a yeast with a high level of attenuation and have used a lot of sugar in the recipe it will go lower than 1010, I wouldn't expect an FG of less than 1010 if it was an all malt recipe.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #15
minexplorer
Recipes 

Default talking to myself probably

been long time since visited forum.thought wld look at a thread i posted.in case anyone looks at this because of similar prob.the brew cleared after a wk anyway so was un duly panicking.however i did return most unnecessarily to demi johns for a wk.
a point to bear in mind this portion despite being re primed at the usual half tsp per pint was always somewhat flattish due to having fermented drier.those i left were nice and fizzy after chilling as a lager should be.
also i found out that other uk brewers that made this particular kit also had clearing probs so i guess it also depends on the manufactuers choice of yeast

Old 11-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #16
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You are not texting nor paying by the letter or spaces. It would be much easier to understand what you are asking if you could use some capitalization and spell out the words.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #17
minexplorer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
You are not texting nor paying by the letter or spaces. It would be much easier to understand what you are asking if you could use some capitalization and spell out the words.
Ha,guess thats me told off.Yes on reflection it doesnt look to neat does it.So used to texting,an it still took an hour to write.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not really wanting to tell you off, it's just hard for us old folks to read.

Quick Reply