The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > beer won't clear

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
minexplorer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default beer won't clear

hi, i wld appreciate some advice.have just bottled a youngs"brewbuddy"lager kit.it had fermented down from 1059 to 1010 in5 days and then stayed at 1010 for 2.it was beginning to drop clear so was time to bottle.however after priming half tsp per pint and leaving 3 days it still wont show any signs of clearing.sometimes the top 2" or so clears cystal then later is cloudy again without having touched the bottles.u can see clouds of suspension swirling around at the slightest touch but never settling.i have made many dozens of brews over the years but not had this before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
CEMaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minexplorer
hi, i wld appreciate some advice.have just bottled a youngs"brewbuddy"lager kit.it had fermented down from 1059 to 1010 in5 days and then stayed at 1010 for 2.it was beginning to drop clear so was time to bottle.however after priming half tsp per pint and leaving 3 days it still wont show any signs of clearing.sometimes the top 2" or so clears cystal then later is cloudy again without having touched the bottles.u can see clouds of suspension swirling around at the slightest touch but never settling.i have made many dozens of brews over the years but not had this before.
How long was it in secondary?
It sounds like you did not give it long enough time for the yeast to flocculate out. Lagers need TIME. The longer the better. My current Vienna lager spent about 10 days in primary and has been in secondary for two weeks and has at least 3 more to go.
My pilsner was very cloudy when racked to secondary. It took about 3 days to flocculate.
How does it taste?

No matter how much I miss my target, I still make beer.
DBM

Primary 1 - Nada
Primary 2 - Zip
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - Ocean House Coffee Porter
Kegged - Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011
Bottled -
Drinking - Oak Pond Somerset Lager, October Fest & Nut Brown. Ocean House Coffee Porter. Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minexplorer
What temp did you primary at? Is it only cloudy when it's cold? If thats the case then you have chill haze and you will want to lager it longer so the proteins will drop out.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
minexplorer
Recipes 

thanx guys.lager kits here in the uk use ale not true lager yeast (shop have confirmed this)so shouldnt need a long secondary stage lagering.its staying cloudy at room temp.i fermented at the manufacturers recomended 18-21c.instructions are,as soon as its steady at 1010 or less for 2 days and starting to clear to proceed to bottling.this has always worked on every ale ive ever done either kit or mash.nevertheless do u think i should try putting into demijohns under airlock even though its seemingly finished?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would add some gelatin to clear it... wait a few days, then add some priming sugar and bottle.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If I am understanding correctly you bottled the brew at 7 days. If that is a fact that is the reason its cloudy.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
CEMaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker
If I am understanding correctly you bottled the brew at 7 days. If that is a fact that is the reason its cloudy.
+1 there. That is what I read from it as well.

No matter how much I miss my target, I still make beer.
DBM

Primary 1 - Nada
Primary 2 - Zip
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - Ocean House Coffee Porter
Kegged - Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011
Bottled -
Drinking - Oak Pond Somerset Lager, October Fest & Nut Brown. Ocean House Coffee Porter. Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

10 days is not nearly enough time for the natural sedimentation process even if you have a highly flocculant yeast strain. It takes at a bare minimum 2 weeks post bottling to get clarity (in general, no filtering). Some yeast strains make this take longer. What facilitates the clearing process is if you have fully carbonated (I am guessing probably not at this point, so it needs to stay longer at ferment temp) beer, you can drop the temperature very cold, even put it in the fridge if you are in a hurry. However, I don't really recommend this because you don't want to arrest the aging process.

The long and short of it is, that you should carbonate in the bottle roughly 10 days to 2 weeks, and condition in the 50's (if you can) for 3 or more weeks after that.

Ok I take it back, 2 weeks minimum is just my general kind of rule of thumb. I don't even look at it for clarity until it has some age.

I am putting money on the yeast strain. I have some natural cider that has been clearing since October. It's not done yet. There is nothing wrong with your brew though.

Oh and....Welcome to the forums!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Last edited by zoebisch01; 03-20-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

If you choose not to use a secondary (I often do not), then leave you beer in the primary for two to three weeks. In any case, take heart, the haze from suspended particulate will clear over time - a month or two in the bottle will work wonders (as well as mellow and enhance the flavor).

Chill haze is another matter - it's not going away. You can compensate for it by using frosted mugs. That way, the frozen condensation on the outside of the mug will mask the cloudiness. Another option is a ceramic stein.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Agreed that you shouldn't even think about bottling 7 days in primary. Wait at least 3 weeks.

Once it's in the bottles, it will take 2-3 weeks to carbinate at room temp. Once carbonation has been verified, put enough bottles in the fridge to last you a while. You want them to cold condition for at least 3-4 days, but the longer the better. It will clear. You'll always get chill haze if you quickly chill and drink.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply