Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Beer without hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
zachary80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You cannot have beer without hops. You could make a Gruit

One of my friends who has a hop allergy mostly substitutes in yarrow. It's not horrible but it's not great either

Next Batches: Wheat Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1844 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 1316

I'm thinking something more along the lines of lemon grass,with some herbs. It could,in theory,approximate the aroma of the Kent Golding I used in my current batch. If you look at that garden site for some bitter herbs of the right type.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
cwhummel
Recipes 

I recently had a beer made with Heather Flower rather than hops. It tasted pretty good and if you weren't trying, you really couldn't taste much of a difference.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
350_Malibu
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed a beer with no hops for the wife. Not that she doesn't like hops, she just liked this one particular beer. The LHBS had it on tap when we went in. They called it 'Helles'.

Basic extract kit.

6lb Light Malt Extract
.25lb Cara-Pils
.125lb Crystal 20L

.25oz Heathers Tips @60
.25oz Heathers Tips @30
.5oz Chamomile @5

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

I haven't tasted mine yet, but what they had in the LHBS was pretty good for a no hop beer.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #15
Mosesdanger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm planning a similar beer.

A lil lemongrass (little goes a long way)
And Ginger

Bottle Conditioning - MilkSteak Stout, Captain Primed Dunkel
Drinking - RedEnd Foreign Extra Stout, Ginger Saison, Snake II's Pale Ale

Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #16
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would also have her clarify the whole allergy reaction she told you. A lot of folks claim or believe they have an allergy to something and they are simply experiencing normal side effects from whatever they had ingested. For example, people tell me they are allergic to narcotics, I then ask what their reaction is, they then explain that they get nausea and that is why they cannot take narcotics. That is a normal side effect to narcotics, and pretty much everyone has that reaction. It's not an allergic reaction. Alcohol side effects include vasodilation which will induce headaches for example. She may be sensitive to certain components however it doesn't sound like a true allergy. She may just have to try out different kind of beers that may not cause a similar effect. I get headaches from cheap beer as well.....however that's still not an allergy. I learned to drink better beer.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #17
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I had read (correct me if I am wrong) but hops are a critical part of beer nowadays because they act as both a preservative and an antibacterial component of beer, allowing it to be shelved for longer (more then a week or so) without risk of infection.

I was planning to brew a 'gruit' or medieval style beer a couple months ago but abandoned this brew due to the fact that I could not find any of the herbs (such as bogwort) and decided that an infection/low shelf life was not worth it.

If its safe to brew beer (and keep it for a long time) without hops, I would love to know because a medieval ale is something I have been aching to try.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
MrStrangeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

dude i live in boston where is this homebrew happy hour that you speak of. and im pretty sure that all beer is hopped so for her to love beer and be allergic to hops is pretty weird she must like a certain kind of beer and im sure it has hops myabe not alot but it must have some. how would she know what beer tastes like? does she drink non-hopped beer? and im pretty sure you get put to death of you dont use hops in your beer. maybe just lie to her and tell her there is no hops in it !

Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #19
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My son claims to be allergic to baked potatoes and broccoli ... but he's not allergic to french fires ... hmmmm

Keg4: StarSan
Bottle: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Secondary: 68ºF air
Primary1: Cider
Primary2: Nothing
Planned: hmmmmmm

You mean a woman of your culture and money and beauty and money and wealth and money would, would marry that imposter?

Poison for email spiders

Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel
My son claims to be allergic to baked potatoes and broccoli ... but he's not allergic to french fires ... hmmmm
Bahahaha.. Been down that road with my kids...
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Quick Reply