Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Beer Recipe Wanted... Fall Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Mike-H
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

doug, thanks for your replies, I cant wait to give this a try! Much appreciated buddy! Cheers..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #12
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is my Pumpkin ale recipe.

8 lbs Light LME
2 lbs Maple Syrup (can use Dark Brown Sugar or Molasses instead)

.5 lbs Crystal 10L
1 lb Carapils
.5 lbs Honey Malt

6 cups of Libby's 100% pure Pumpkin Puree(the kind you use for making Pies) I had to use 2 cans but i cannot remember their size. But 3/4 cup of puree = 1 lb of pumpkin. 8 lbs was my goal.

3.5 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
4.5 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Cinnamon

1 oz fuggles hops (60 mins)

Wyeast 1056 or any ale yeast

Steep grains in 2 gallons of water @ 158 degrees for 30 mins

Add extract and syrup and Fuggles hops and boil for 60 min

With 10 mins left add 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice and 2 tsp Allspice and 1 tsp cinnamon and 3 tsp Irish Moss.

Bofore you kill the flame ....add 2 quarts of water to the pot to make up for evaporation and bring it back to a boil then kill the flame.

At flameout add Pumkin, and the rest of the spices and stir until the pumkin dissolves@ 15 mins

Cool it down and transfer to fermenter. I usually top off with water to hit the 6 gallon mark to make up for the pumpkin trub.

Primary ferment until pumpkin settles well enough to rack into the secondary. I usually get it to settle to 4-5 inches deep. Usually 10 days primary and 10-14 days secondary.

If you like your pumpkin ale sweet you can add .5 lb Malto Dextrine or Lactose to the boil.

Last edited by dougjones31; 09-13-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
pbowler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

AWESOME!!!!

Thanks!!!

Drinking: Heiniken
Thinking about: A really Hoppy Red
In the Driveway: 1990 BMW 750il

SLEEPY DAD BREWERY

Old 10-05-2006, 04:02 AM   #14
gauthierk
Recipes 

I think I might have messed this one up.... In my transcription of the brew, I forgot the oatmeal... I'm almost through the boil and have none... How bad is this brew going to be without using oatmeal??? Should I write it off as a beer that people drink once they are already loose and won't know the difference???

Old 10-05-2006, 04:55 AM   #15
Mike-H

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthierk
I think I might have messed this one up.... In my transcription of the brew, I forgot the oatmeal... I'm almost through the boil and have none... How bad is this brew going to be without using oatmeal??? Should I write it off as a beer that people drink once they are already loose and won't know the difference???
hehe, how could you forget the oatmeal!!! I have this beer in secondary right now, i'll let yhou know how the oatmeal version is!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
ETkekbrew
Recipes 

Sounds like a great recipe, going to brew a batch this weekend and will let everyone know how it goes. One question how long did you ferment your batch do to the added sugar from the Apple Juice. I did a Summer Ale with Apricots and have had a couple of bottles explode. My fault for not doing a better job checking gravity but just curious your thoughts.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think apple juice would require quite a bit of testing and playing around with. If your going to work with apple juice try your hands at a cider or at least read up about them and how the yeast will consume all the sugars from the apples juice. I made a batch of cider and added fresh pears in the fermenter and the final product ended up like a dry white wine, I didnt get any of the flavors of what was in there. You have to kill the fermentaion at some point to keep the fruit flavors and then force carbonate later. Extract would be simpler to use.

Not exactly the same but a modified holiday porter recipe would be interesting. It has spices like nutmeg / clove, vanilla etc.. shoot for a nice golden / amber color swap roasted grains with something lighter but malty.

Fermenter 1: IPA
Keg1: 15 Min Pale Wheat
Keg2: Hefeweizen
Bottles: Brown Biscuit Ale - SafeAle S-04 / Brown Biscuit Ale - Abbey Ale Yeast II

Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
ETkekbrew
Recipes 

@edb

Thanks for your advice. I will do some research before I begin and talk to some friends who brew a lot.

Quick Reply