Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Beer "OLD" after one week?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Jason Horlacher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer "OLD" after one week?

Ok, So I just bottled an extract Sierra Pale Ale clone about 10 days ago. On day 3 i drank a couple...sure the carbonation wasnt perfect but it tasted pretty good. I just opened another after 10 days in the bottle and it has that same metallic, bitter-overboard taste! What can make the beer taste worse in 7 days while sitting in my cool garage? Wouldn't extract twang always be present? WTF gives?

Hopefully it is the aluminum pot I use or the extract kits I got...going all-grain as soon as my SS 10-gal pot gets here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 112

give it some more time. 3 weeks to a month minimum. You shouldn't have any trouble finding good beer in Germany.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The aluminum pot most likely is not the cause if it's properly prepared. My guess would be extract twang, but it's just a guess.

This thread might give you some more ideas on your potential problem.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50829

Edit: More reading- http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&c...mebrewtalk.com

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Jason Horlacher
Recipes 

I have beers that I brewed months ago and they did the same thing...they do not get any better with age. And the only beer you get around here is Pils or Hefe...hate Pils and sick and tired of Hefe...

Old 02-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 112

then you got a little while longer to wait for your beer to taste better.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

That beer will be great in time - give it two more weeks and they try it. I'll bet you that it is on track by then.

I usually free-lance my recipes - you might consider that approach as well. Brewing clones is in my opinion always a route to frustration. If your clone seems to be better tasting than the original, you wonder if you really hit the mark (why should my clone be better than that professional brew), and if it falls short, then obviously you made a mistake somewhere.

If you experiment with recipes you can make the one you like best, and mix up variations of it as you see fit.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Another possibility, the priming sugar had not fermented completely & made it a little sweeter. That can hide some of the bitterness. Day 10, the sugar was gone and the beer wasn't conditioned.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made an extract SNPA clone a few months ago. The ones I drank that were 6-8 weeks in the bottle tasted the best. The ones I drank 3-4 weeks in the bottle were ok but I was a bit disappointed. Unfortunately, the thing you gotta do is wait. I wish I hadn't have broke into my batch as early as I did.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Junebug

Recipes 

I've struggled with an off flavor that has been present in every single beer I've brewed to date- a flavor I can only describe as having a slight "maple" hint to it. My beers have all been brewed with liquid malt extract and somebody on here suggested I try brewing with dry malt extract. Yesterday, I brewed an Irish ale, using DME. I'm hoping that flavor will not be present in that beer. I am seriously considering going all-grain in the hopes that I can avoid this flavor. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I switched to mostly DME after my first few brews and I'm not experiencing any twang or consistant flavors from style to style. In fact, a few homebrewers that samples an Alpha King clone that I made had a hard time believing it was an extract brew. You might also want to start doing late Extract additions to your brews if you aren't already. It definitely improved my beers.

Quick Reply