Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Beer in my primary too long - repitch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #11
illnastyimpreza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Yes, but it takes months. Typically you'd only need to re-pitch if it was a big ass barleywine, or a lager that was bulk aged 6 months in the cold.

Even then, you'll find guys on here that waited 6 months, bottled, and had carbonation after 4 weeks without re-pitching.
I keg my beer anyway.... so does it matter at all ?? whats the point of a secondary if I just use a filter when I rack to my keg ?

Primary 1: Homemade Cider
Primary 2: IPA
primary 3: empty
primary 4:empty
Kegerator: empty
bottled: Never again... I hate bottling

Primary stirrer and yeast pitcher: my Girlfriend :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #12
monock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Due to an injury, I ended up with a batch sitting in the primary for about 2 months and 1 week. I decided to bottle after purging some of the gas through the airlock and it smelled great (pressed on the lid and the airlock bubbled). I went ahead and bottled normally with 1 cup of dextrose for priming. The result was excellent. After a week of bottle conditioning, the carbonation was perfect. I used safale05 dry yeast in the beginning without pitching any more. I'd have to say the yeast may have just gone dormant or slowed down their metabolism. The temp of the fermentation was around 67 degrees. I would have to say that if you have some beer sitting in a primary for a few months, it may be salvagable. Like the saying goes - "If it smells good, bottle it!!!"

Old 03-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
boydak
Recipes 

I just bottled a batch that I brewed in August and sat in my primary till last Friday. Mid April I will let you know how it came out.

It was a Pale Ale with S.G of about 1.055

Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #14
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I'd just get a package of cheap dry yeast, and use 1/4 package of that and mix it in with the dissolved priming solution (after it's cooled, of course). The yeast used for carbonating will not leave behind any flavor profile- the beer has been done for ages!
Seconded. A couple of dollars for dry yeast is cheap insurance against a flat batch of beer.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #15
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply