Beer Kit Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
I'm sitting here drinking my first fresh beer I've ever made. Enjoying it very much. I made a Coopers Real Ale. The wife bought me a Tap-A-Draft, and I put it in the TAD bottles. Its really cold, tasty, with a great head.

I was wondering if someone might suggest a pre-hopped kit that I could make that my wife and daughter might like. They like Coors Light (Yuck).

Any chance there might be a kit that might produce something quite light that they may like. They both have been very supportive, buying the TAD and all, and I need to make something they like.

Any suggestions?

I'm not ready for grains yet, I might be able to extend into a partial extract.

Thanks in advance
Doug.

I know brewers best has an American light kit. Also its either coopers or muntans has an American light also. I think that would be your best bet. Wheat beer would also be good

Well, I looked for both of those and no luck...they were sold out of most stuff. They had a shelf full lastweek. Must be the weather change is gettin folks in the mood to brew.

I did find a coopers lager. I decided to go with that. I also have a Coopers Draft. I'm hoping the Lager is light enough for them. I'll keep the ABV down and see what happens.

Thanks for the posts. :mug:

P.S. I hadn't considered the wheat's before ( I like them...but I like most everything) , but that really sounds like something that would work for them. I'll give one of those a shot too when the brew shop re-stocks.

Hey Rukus for a nice light beer I would go with the coopers lager - add maybe a pound of corn sugar and a pound of malt extract - top er up to 23 liters. Coopers used to make a 'Wheat beer' kit that was super light but I cant get it locally anymore.

The draft kit is nice - but it has a little more hop bitter in it - if they like coors light that may be a little bitter for them. Anyway happy brewing

Brew a cream ale. It's an ale, so if you can't lager this will be the way to go. They taste similar, but better than the macrobrews.

Brew a cream ale. It's an ale, so if you can't lager this will be the way to go. They taste similar, but better than the macrobrews.

+1 for the cream ale. My SWMBO requested it. She grew up with Blatz Cream Ale and says the Liberty Cream Ale I made tasted close enough. We drank a lot, warm and flat, during bottling. I did only use half the 60 minute hops for her though. This weekend, another batch of cream ale for her, and a nice Belgian Ale for me.

Dam, I think they had a cream ale there too :( Might have to give that one a go too.

I currently have 6 Gallons of Coopers Real Ale on tap, I have a Coopers Draught kit, and I started the Coopers Lager tonight.

I put 500 grams of Dextrose, 250 grams Extra Light DME and 250 grams of Maltodextrin. Basically the same thing as Coopers Brew Enhancer 2.

The SG is around 1.038 so it'll probably end up around 4% abv. Hope they like it.

What cream ale kits do you find good? That really sounds like something they might like.

The Real Ale is a bit much for them.

Hey Rukus for a nice light beer I would go with the coopers lager - add maybe a pound of corn sugar and a pound of malt extract - top er up to 23 liters. Coopers used to make a 'Wheat beer' kit that was super light but I cant get it locally anymore.

The draft kit is nice - but it has a little more hop bitter in it - if they like coors light that may be a little bitter for them. Anyway happy brewing

Thanks, I did end up with the lager. There wasn't much of a selection. By the time I make all the kit stuff I want to try, I'm gonna need a liver transplant.

+1 for the cream ale. My SWMBO requested it. She grew up with Blatz Cream Ale and says the Liberty Cream Ale I made tasted close enough. We drank a lot, warm and flat, during bottling. I did only use half the 60 minute hops for her though. This weekend, another batch of cream ale for her, and a nice Belgian Ale for me.

Dam....sounds good. I'm not familier with Belgian. I am a fan of Grolsch though. You'd have to shoot me to get a Guiness out of my hand too. Recently tried Harp. Really like that as well.

Come to think of it, there really isn't much I don't like other than the Scotch Ale....too sweet for me.

Dont worry about the liver I brew about 75-100 gallons a year lol

Liver still going strong!

:rockin:
Well on top of the 12 Gallons of beer either fermenting or kegged, 6 Gallons of Apple Wine, 3 Gallons hard cider and a coopers kit Draught, and 200 bottles of wine....I have almost enough :drunk:

The beer may not push me to a liver transplant, but it may make a pocket in it like a catchers mitt. LoL

What cream ale kits do you find good? That really sounds like something they might like.

The Real Ale is a bit much for them.

My SWMBO really likes Midwest's Liberty Cream Ale. She likes it enough, she's getting an AG batch this weekend. But, again, I used half the bittering hops in a full length boil, and all the aroma hops.

My SWMBO really likes Midwest's Liberty Cream Ale. She likes it enough, she's getting an AG batch this weekend. But, again, I used half the bittering hops in a full length boil, and all the aroma hops.

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at their website and see what info I can gather from them.

They used to produce Genesee Cream Ale here in Rochester. I havn't had any of that in probably 30 years. It was mild and pretty smooth if I recall correctly.

Cream Ales might just be the ticket :mug:

There's some good cream ale recipes on this site.

However if you want a recipe kit, Northern Brewer has one that uses a little biscuit and honey malt in it. Sounds interesting.

can anyone give me an example of a good micro-brew cream ale to try. keep hearing how good they are and don't know that i've ever tried one. would like to taste an example before i buy a kit.

can anyone give me an example of a good micro-brew cream ale to try. keep hearing how good they are and don't know that i've ever tried one. would like to taste an example before i buy a kit.

nothing stands out in my mind either. huh?

Liberty was mentioned earlier...

I can't name one for you. SWMBO wanted something like Blatz Light Cream Ale, I believe that's the correct name. But, I don't have a clue if it's still made and it's surely not a micro-brew.

Gennessee Cream Ale is a popular one. Although I'm not sure of its availability outside of the northeast.

As far as "how good they are," I wouldn't say they're amazing beers. If you're a fan of belgian styles, a cream ale is going to be kind of boring. However it is a great style to transition BMC drinkers towards microbrewed beer.

Latest posts

Back