New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Beer has a funky sweetness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
Momar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer has a funky sweetness

This is the first batch I have brewed and my beer is still in the aging process. I read on the internet that you shouldn't cap half full bottles because they might blow up.. I have one half full one so emptied it out just in case.

The problem is I thought I would just give it a try to see how it is coming long. It's only 5 days into the aging process. I realize that the beer isn't ready at this point, but would it be normal for a beer to have a sweet sugary taste? I am concerned because this is my first brew ever and I have never tasted a flavor like that in any beer I have ever had. I used the Truebrew Wheat beer kit if that makes any difference.

Last edited by Momar; 08-22-2005 at 12:37 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momar
I read on the internet that you shouldn't cap half full bottles because they might blow up.. I have one half full one so emptied it out just in case.
Well I know almost nothing, but I have a pretty good idea that if the the half full bottle blows, it won't be until after all of the full bottles have erupted. Am I wrong about this, oh wise ones?

It does seem likely tho that the half full bottle might just taste a little different than the rest...half full means a lot of oxygen sitting on top of the beer.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with you, P. Air compresses more than liquid( more atoms in the liquid, I think) , the full bottle would go bang first.
On the sweetness topic; Did you use a large amount of extract? Did you use a lot of priming sugar? I've got a vanilla\coffee stout in the bottle that tasted like a hoppy cotton candy a week ago. I better let that one sit a while. I would think , too, that it would depend on the style of beer you made. Is it a thick ale , or something else that might come off sweet tasting? Let it age a couple of weeks and try it again. They tell me that patience is a virtue.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Well I know almost nothing, but I have a pretty good idea that if the the half full bottle blows, it won't be until after all of the full bottles have erupted. Am I wrong about this, oh wise ones?
I would just like to correct El Pistolero on one thing. The bottle is half empty not half full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
It does seem likely tho that the half full bottle might just taste a little different than the rest...half full means a lot of oxygen sitting on top of the beer.
...half empty means theres not enough oxygen on top of that beer.

Hey, I'm a pessimistic Beer lover OK!

Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
3rd and Long

Recipes 

Yes, A full bottle would explode before a half empty bottle..

As far as the sweetness goes.. probably one of two things, either your fermentation didn't compelete due to the yeast being old (happens alot with kits), you can check this with a hydrometer. Or you could be tasting the priming sugar from when you bottled.

If you saw a vigorous fermentation then it's proably the latter and let the beer sit a few more weeks.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah, Third and Long is also a pessimistic kinda Beer enthusiast. Thanks for a descent response. Can't seem to provide one at this point.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
AHammer16

Recipes 

The beer is sweet because the yeast in the bottle has yet to consume the sugars which carb. the beer. Let is sit. I know how hard it is to wait, i just finished my second batch and the first was soooo hard to leave alone. If you are literate then buy the complete joy of home brewing. You can find it on e bay and amazon for cheap. I got my second edition copy for $1.50, the book will answer all of you questions and help you to make better beer!!

Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
I agree with you, P. Air compresses more than liquid( more atoms in the liquid, I think) , the full bottle would go bang first.
Truthfully, the liquid portion won't compress at all. That is one reason why water is such a great conductor of sound.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:12 AM   #9
AlaskaAl(e)

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHammer16
If you are literate then buy the complete joy of home brewing. You can find it on e bay and amazon for cheap. I got my second edition copy for $1.50, the book will answer all of you questions and help you to make better beer!!
I would think that it would be very difficult to read/post on this thread were he not.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 AM   #10
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good point.

Quick Reply