Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Beer going stale fast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymtber View Post
Now I'm just really confused. My Kolsch (enjoying one right now) still taste great. It was brewed 2 months before the Amber. I mean, its not as fresh as when it was...um fresh, but it still taste like a good beer in comparison to the Amber (which started out great).

I guess hoppy bears and me are not working out well for brewing and aging. Biggest problem is that I just don't drink enough quickly enough. Next batch I am going to give my brother a 12 pack right off the bat, and store extras at dads for now.

On a positive side, I have noticed a LOT less yeast in the bottle since doing at least a few days as cold as I can get the beer (cold crashing, in a sense). And my beers are getting better, but aging is going to be reserved for big beers/dark beers. I have a 14 month old Porter that was still tasting great last bottle I had...I have something like 6-8 12oz bottles at dad's still (I know they are safe(r) there )
Do you realize that you don't have to make 20 gallons at a time? I make 2 1/2 gallon batches regularly as I don't drink a lot but like a variety of beers. As mentioned above, hop flavor/aroma fades with time so make your hoppy beers in small quantities and your less hoppy beer as usual since they store better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
nymtber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think (if I keep some DME around just in case) I can swing an all-grain BIAB 2.5gal batch. I had thought of it before, I DO have a semi-local place with a huge grain selection, and OK hops and yeast selection (all vaccum packaged 1oz size hops). Is a 3gal carboy enough for a ferment, or could I use my already owned 5gal? I've thought of doing an IPA, but I CAN"T drink that much IPA before it goes bad. I enjoy it quite a bit, on occasion.

I might brew a full batch of hefeweizen. A few of the guys at work went to Germany last year and they love the style now. I will just share my stash so everyone can enjoy fresh brew Along with a Rye stout....because Rye and Stout sound like an amazing mix to me.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:

Beer is WONDERFUL for the first month or two. Just seems to go downhill faster and faster. Seems beer I brew in spring/fall last a bit longer if the basement is cool...
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Most beers are best when fresh (even BMC products have a "born on" date!).

Beer ages faster at room temperature, as does wine, so when a beer hits peak flavor it would really help to stick it in the fridge or cellar it to slow down the aging.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
I think (if I keep some DME around just in case) I can swing an all-grain BIAB 2.5gal batch. I had thought of it before, I DO have a semi-local place with a huge grain selection, and OK hops and yeast selection (all vaccum packaged 1oz size hops). Is a 3gal carboy enough for a ferment, or could I use my already owned 5gal? I've thought of doing an IPA, but I CAN"T drink that much IPA before it goes bad. I enjoy it quite a bit, on occasion.

I might brew a full batch of hefeweizen. A few of the guys at work went to Germany last year and they love the style now. I will just share my stash so everyone can enjoy fresh brew Along with a Rye stout....because Rye and Stout sound like an amazing mix to me.
A 3 gallon carboy may be a bit too small, but you can use your 5 gallon fermenters for a 2.5 gallon batch.

If you don't have a beer fridge or a cellar, making smaller batches might be exactly what would work for you. Maybe do a 5 gallon batch of beers that can age well (barley wine, tripel, etc) and smaller batches of beers that don't age well.

Quick Reply