Bad Kitty Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this for the 2nd time on Wednesday!
Have been enjoying batch 1! This will be another 10 gal batch and I think we might split it up and do one with coffee instead of vanilla.
I’ll keep it posted how it goes!

I bottled my second batch of Bad Kitty on November 15th. This time I used Maris Otter LME for a change. I'll crack my first one open this Saturday and see how it turned out. I'm really looking forward to it!

Next up, Aventinus clone again.

I bottled my second batch of Bad Kitty on November 15th. This time I used Maris Otter LME for a change. I'll crack my first one open this Saturday and see how it turned out. I'm really looking forward to it!

OK...Saturday has come and gone. Don't keep us in the dark! How did it turn out?

You'll have to let me know how that turns out. The brew I have fermenting now is my first with MO but if you get good results with it for Bad Kitty I may try it that way.

Turned out pretty good. Definitely more malt punch than with the DME. I think I'm also getting a bit more character out of the non-base malts. Vanilla presence is good.

Might try it with 2-row next time to see how much of a difference there is.

This batch turned out very well. I'm liking the difference with Maris otter. The chocolate and vanilla notes are what they should be, I think this turned out to be a very nice winter Porter!

Just bottled my third batch of this. Used MO LME and I perceived the sample to have more chocolate than the previous batches that were split with MO and Light DME. Should be carbed up around xmas... some going out as gifts. Ill post back on how it turns out!

Planning to brew it up again later this month! Might try to add some lacto sugar... any comments on that idea?

My latest attempt I used all MO LME as it was a sale. I also added 1 cup of my home made vanilla extract and 1 cup of cold brewed locally roasted coffee.
It is great. I think Ill be sticking with the MO. I have a batch sitting in secondary right now that I added coffee and vanilla into but that doesn’t have MO. I should know after that batch is bottled if the MO is the winner.
Thanks again

Back