The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Bad Batch/ Gravity Readings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
TSac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bad Batch/ Gravity Readings

I have brewed about ten batches of beer lifetime and got my first bad batch on my last attempt. In the past I have never taken gravity readings and with this batch it was the first time I have been hurt by that fact.
I brewed a Nut Brown Ale using a starter. I had tons of activity the following morning with my starter at about 70 degrees, it was still bubbling like crazy when I pitched it into my wart (which was at 70 degrees). I let the beer ferment in my basement which was about 60 degrees; it was in the primary for ten days and another ten in the secondary. I saw almost no activity in either the primary or the secondary, the krausen was barely half an inch up my six gallon carboy and I saw no bubbles coming from my airlock.

I guess that leaves me to my question, does anyone have a guess to what went wrong?
Since I haven't the foggiest what my gravity reading was (not historically taking one because I don't want to waste any beer) what is the proper technique for taking a gravity reading?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

First, I don't think anything went wrong, you just had a stealth ferment. With extract, the final gravity is really what is important. For a Nut Brown, I would expect a FG around 1.010-1.016. How you get a sample depends on your fermenter. For a carboy, you have to use a wine thief or a siphon. Ditto, for a bucket without a spout.

Sanitize whatever you use, slip it into the fermenter and remove the sample. Let it settle & check the reading.

Some people bad mouth hydrometers, but they are the only way you can be certain the ferment is done.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 06-16-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you pitched an active starter into 70 F wort you definately had fermentation.
No airlock activity is probably the result of a leak, maybe a bucket lid that didn't seal.
Shouldn't pose a problem since the offgassing of CO2 creates positive pressure in the primary, keeping out the beasties.
No bubbling in the secondary is pretty common.

To take a SG reading you need to fill the thing your hydrometer goes in, float the hydrometer in the wort/beer (give it a spin to knock off any bubbles), and read your SG. Don't forget to adjust for temp, most hydrometers are calibrated for 60 F.

I wouldn't worry about this batch, it should be fine.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
smithmikeg
Recipes 

I'm still learning, but isn't 60deg.F a bit low for an ale? I'm currently brewing at about 70deg.F.

Now Brewing: Great Scot! Scottish Ale

Old 06-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I vote a leaky top as well.

Don't worry about wasting beer, you WILL drink what you use in the hydrometer. I like tasting very green, warm, uncarbonated beer you know it will only get better.

Also, you will need to check the temp of the sample, then make a correction for the temp. Check the hydrometer in water before just to make sure it reads 1.000.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmikeg
I'm still learning, but isn't 60deg.F a bit low for an ale? I'm currently brewing at about 70deg.F.
it's a bit low and may slow fermentation, but also the temperature inside the carboy will be slightly higher than the ambient temp outside due to heat created by the fermentation.

i prefer to brew on the colder side...it generally gets better flavors. for instance, wlp 300 (hefe yeast) is listed as optimum 68-72 F, but i prefer to go a bit lower than that to mellow some of the banana flavor.

Check out white labs and their listing of optimum temperatures to get some idea:

http://whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

TSac didn't say he's fermenting at 60F, I said most hydrometers are calibrated for 60F.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSac
I let the beer ferment in my basement which was about 60 degrees
i believe this is what he was talking about

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oops, my bad.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Accoustiknoyz
Recipes 

I'd like to jump in here if I can because I was all for taking gravity readings and racking to a secondary, but ran into troubles. Sanitizing is kind of laborious but having done so with the tubing I intended to siphon with I still ran into trouble getting a siphon started if I put much emphasis on cleanliness. Can you detail how you guys actually sanitize and start the siphon? Also, when I lost siphon halfway to racking to a secondary I think it was because my siphon tube was too short so I just used the small sample for a gravity reading and put the airlock back on. Now I have a big fermentation activity going all over again in the carboy. Does that mean fermentation on my IPA was "stuck" and I agitated it into going again? Gravity was at about 1.018. NOw I'm looking at about 1/4 inch of foam on the wort and a bloop every 20 seconds.

Quick Reply