Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Austin Homebrew Two-Hearted Ale Extract clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
ba70665
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Austin Homebrew Two-Hearted Ale Extract clone

I really love this beer, and just brewed Austin Homebrews clone of it. One thing i know about Two Hearted Ale is that it uses all Centennial hops, whereas this kit came with all Amarillo. I suspect its due to the hop shortage but i was just wondering if anyones ever brewed this kit with with all Amarillo, and how did it turn out??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I brewed an All-Amarillo Pale Ale that was nearly an IPA about a year ago, and it turned out delicious. Many sources indicate that Amarillo is a suitable substitute for Centennial. While there may be closer substitutes, they should be reasonably similar to each other to produce a good product within the ballpark of the Two Hearted Ale - the end result will probably be a bit smoother and less heavy on the grapefruit character. So I'd brew it with what you've got.

If you want to go for maximum authenticity, I checked some other online stores, and many of them have Centennial available for reasonable prices - Nikobrew and Hops Direct, for instance. Amarillo is a great hop, and you'll always find another use for it in an American Pale Ale or West Coast IPA if you were to go ahead and use Centennial in your clone batch.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Last edited by ArcaneXor; 03-18-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Donthoseme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use Armarillo quite a bit in my IPAs and most recently in my Dawn of The Dead ale and i really do love this hop. In my opinion it should have some kind of a "C" came so it would fit in more nicely with the other american IPA hops.

UNDEAD Dunkelweise
Baby Bryce Barleywine
1st Anniversary Ale (Imperial Porter)
Night of The Living Dead Ale (belgian porter) (DECEASED)
Dawn of The Dead Ale (Belgial IPA)(DECEASED)
The Omega Ale (Quad)(DECEASED)

Old 03-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Amarillo is an awesome hop, but it's not Centennial. It will be good for sure, but not a two hearted clone. There site says that Centennial won't be available for a long time, which is funny because there available to the public.

Last edited by wildwest450; 03-18-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have been told by someone that they suspected some Amarillo in the actual 2 Hearted, and not solely Centennial. I have never seen someone from Bells actually say it is 100% Centennial. But Centennial is easily acquired so the clones use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
ba70665
Recipes 

also, the kit called for 3oz in the boil and .5 oz dry hop, but it only came with 3oz, all of which i used in the boil. Ive never brewed an IPA before, but i know most recipes dry hop, and with atleast half an ounce. How crucial do yall think this will be to the result? I went ahead and bought a few more ounces of amarillo to play with, how much would yall recommend using?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It it was me, I'd put an ounce of Centennial in DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
ba70665
Recipes 

yeah but i figured i went amarillo all the way anyways, why switch to the "centennial blend" of cascade and columbus

Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba70665 View Post
yeah but i figured i went amarillo all the way anyways, why switch to the "centennial blend" of cascade and columbus
If I were brewing a TH clone the Cent. addition in secondary would be the MOST crucial part of the brew. That is where the majority of the aroma and a good part of the flavor will be added. One oz. should do it for one week.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
If I were brewing a TH clone the Cent. addition in secondary would be the MOST crucial part of the brew. That is where the majority of the aroma and a good part of the flavor will be added. One oz. should do it for one week.
I thought dry hopping adds aroma, but not flavor.

Quick Reply