Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Attention All Extract Brewers - Harsh Bitterness and Aftertaste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #51
boredatwork
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Most people seem to use Ward labs for water analysis. Go over to the Brew Science forum and you will see a ton of posts on lab analysis.

I also force-carb. The more I experiment/read/think about this problem I am strongly leaning to the conclusion that it has nothing to do with methods but strictly water. As in, it doesn't matter if its extract, AG, force carb, or bottle carb.

Regarding aging - the first batch I made had the bitterness - I kept that batch for at least 6 months and I still noticed it. I would say if it faded it went from like a 100/100 to 80/100. It was still overpowering. But - I guess the effect of the bitterness really depends on your water.

This is also a thread worth reading. The good stuff is post #15:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/hel...-ratio-117953/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #52
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

post #15 IS some good stuff!! thanks for the link! that should be mega-stickied.

Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Old 08-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #53
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredatwork View Post
Lastly, as further evidence, it would be nice to see some postings on mineral content levels from people who are experiencing this problem. At a minimum we need

Ca+2
Mg+2
SO4-2
Na+
Cl-
HCO3-
My tap water:
Ca+2: 44
Mg+2: 12
SO4-2: 32
Na+: 13
Cl-: 18
HCO3-: 116

Looks like my harsh bitterness might be caused by the CL to SO4 ratio (.56)?

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 PM   #54
boredatwork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yea, according to Brewing Water Chemistry Calculator | Brewer's Friend your water is suited for amber colored bitter beers.

Actually, the past few days I have been searching this site and reading a lot of posts regarding flavor problems related to water. It seems like a lot of people have similar issues. I always though having problems with your water was a rare thing, but that appears to not be the case.

Like a lot of things, I think the whole idea of not caring about your water, or "if t tastes good..." is a myth that caused me to waste a lot of money on bad brews. I've posted this a couple times already today, but I don't understand how water should be an afterthought when it can literally be scientifically impossible to correctly brew a beer with bad water?

And for those who want to test their water I came across this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/how...1/#post1453062

Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #55
sharpstick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i was using RO water, but had some sporadic problems with slow or stuck fermentation and now i use an inline charcoal filter.
i think you could also build up RO water with some basic mineral additions, or get fancy and create a specific mineral recipe.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #56
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredatwork View Post
Like a lot of things, I think the whole idea of not caring about your water, or "if it tastes good..." is a myth that caused me to waste a lot of money on bad brews. I've posted this a couple times already today, but I don't understand how water should be an afterthought when it can literally be scientifically impossible to correctly brew a beer with bad water?
AMEN BROTHER!

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #57
bwiechman
Recipes 

When you talk about flavor issues can you describe it. I think I am seeing problems that can be attributed to water (should have my test results back next week). It manifests itself as a lingering aspirin type bitterness that just seems to build up in the back of my mouth and throat. Initially the flavor is good on the three batches I have done but all have lingering bitterness issues.

Is this the same flavor problem that you guys are talking about?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #58
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

not sure if I'd say the aftertaste a lot of my beers share is as sharp as "aspirin bitterness" but i guess it might lean in that direction. all i know is most of my beers share it. maybe i'd describe mine as slightly medicinal or chemical-ish... one of those aftertastes that is very pronounced when you breathe out through your nose after taking a drink.
...but then again, we have different water! hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
once upon a time, i thought maybe it was the enamel pot I use for my extract batches. i also thought it might be what's called "extract twang". but then i did an AG in a completely different stainless pot (15gal) and it was still there. there's no common denominator left except water!

Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Old 09-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #59
thesanch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Let us know how it tastes after a few weeks in the bottle. It sounds promising. In my experience with the harsh bitter aftertaste it didn't show up until after it was carbonated. I could not detect it at all at bottling.
It's been in the bottle now for 2 weeks and chilled for 3 days before I tasted it last night. I didn't detect any of the harsh bitterness that I had in my previous batches. I'll update again in another week or so, but looking good so far!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #60
bwiechman
Recipes 

At any rate, I got my water tested last week and this is what I got:
Ca+2: 73
Mg+2: 26
SO4-2: 3
Na+: 11
Cl-: 2
HCO3-: 360

Hard with bicarbonates through the roof. Looks like the chloride sulfate ratio favors bitterness a little bit too.

Quick Reply