Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Attempting Pipeline Porter Extract Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #21
boostsr20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I ended up doing a Kona Porter myself. Its been about 1 and a half months in bottles and its pretty damn good. I did a cold extraction with the coffee and added it at bottling. I also use cracked whole beans in the secondary. I didn't want to have to deal with grounds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
I ended up doing a Kona Porter myself. Its been about 1 and a half months in bottles and its pretty damn good. I did a cold extraction with the coffee and added it at bottling. I also use cracked whole beans in the secondary. I didn't want to have to deal with grounds.
Would you mind sharing your recipe? My grain bill isn't balanced and the roasted malt came through too harsh.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #23
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Update: I have a coworker that likes darker styles so I offered up the coffee porter and let her know about the flaws. The next day she gushed about how good it is. I told her there are plenty more where that came from. I had a couple chilling in my fridge for a few weeks so I decided to crack one open last night to see if it has changed by some miracle. IT WAS GOOOOOD! It has been six months since bottling and it is finally coming into its own. The acrid coffee flavor is gone and replaced by a smooth, subtle coffee flavor and no harsh aftertaste. I still brought her a six pack of it today like I promised, but I only have about 12 - 12oz bottles left now.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #24
alanwelam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Trying to make this next week... Gonna try to finalize the recipe today.

I'm working through the calculationsand getting an og of 1.070 on two different iPhone apps... What is the problem? (post-boil)

Plus, cold press the coffee for 12 hrs at room temp and then in the fridge for 24hrs before blending just before bottling. Any suggestions? This should reduce astringency as it reduces tannin extraction...

The pipeline has a smooth taste. Is that a result of kona coffee or should there be a lactose/ oat addition for a silky mouthfeel?

Would you guys change the recipe at all or stick with what was listed?

Inferno Brewery
Primary: Sam Smith Cherry Clone
Secondary: Empty :(

Kegs: Luxuria Vanilla Porter, Kona Coffee Stout, Belgian Dubbel, IPA, Orange Blossom Honey Hefe, Rouge Dead Guy clone, Pumpkin Ale, Sweetwater 420 Clone, ESB

Bottled: Peach Wheat, Evil Monk Quad Ale (v1 and v2), Sold Soul Double Chocolate Stout (v1 and v2), Pomegranate IPA

Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #25
jcomeau
Recipes 

Im gunna take a stab at brewing this weekend. Any other suggestions for yeast? Also going to try and get some chocolate malt.

Quick Reply