Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > arpricot hefe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
yemag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default arpricot hefe

Almost ready to bottle apricot hefe. So far tastes very apricot-y. I used a simple extract hefe recipe and added six pounds of pitted apricots to the secondary waited two weeks. No pasteurization of the fruit. No real problems except that I lost ~1 gal when I went to a terciery to filter out the fruit bits.

-Yemag

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dude, be careful. I made a peach/mango wit awhile back, and even though the fermentation had stopped, there was sugar hiding in the fruit. So when I racked to the bottling bucket, it disturbed the fruit and I guess released alot of sugar. I ended up with alot of gushers. So, a word to the wise...I do see that you filtered out the fruit already, so...that's good. Did anything start back up after that?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Six pounds sounds like a lot...you can also get Apricot Extract from the Brew Supply Shops, like Austin Home brew. I just used that for my Magic Hat #9 clone.

You just add it to the bottling bucket and you're done. No mess and no long fermentation...but I can see how real fruit might taste better...

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 10-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
yemag
Recipes 

Sorry for the slow reply. The beer turned out great. The Apricot flavor came through and blended well with the hefe' fruitiness. No gushers I think most of the sugar got fermented.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Kubed

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm, i've got some apricot extract for the magic hat #9 clone i'm doing, but I should have 2 oz left over. I'll have to give some thought to adding that to the hefe I just made. I've had pyramid apricot hefe and that was fantastic.

Bottled: IPA, Hefeweizen, Magic Hat #9 clone, CCA, Apfelwein, Panty Dropping Apple Cider
Kegged: Belgian White PM, Orfy's Hob Goblin

Quick Reply