Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Extract Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/)
-   -   Apple flavor (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/apple-flavor-375732/)

Jrbetz 12-22-2012 02:39 AM

Apple flavor
 
I'm new to brewing, when I took my FG on my current batch it tasted like green apple flavor. Do I bottle as normal or toss it? Any help would be great!

Leadgolem 12-22-2012 02:43 AM

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/green-apple-267821/#post3245583

Yeast nutrient and time are your friends.

Jrbetz 12-22-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadgolem (Post 4707061)
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/green-apple-267821/#post3245583

Yeast nutrient and time are your friends.

Should I just toss it?

Leadgolem 12-22-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrbetz (Post 4707085)
Should I just toss it?

That depends. If it's more then a few weeks old, then it probably won't get better. If it's drinkable then drink it. If you haven't bottled it yet, and it's still young, then you might want to save yourself some effort and condition it all together for a while and see if it gets better.

There isn't anything in it that is going to hurt you. Just something that doesn't taste very good.

If you have a garden, your plants might like some. Even if it is undrinkable.

Golddiggie 12-22-2012 02:59 AM

IF it's under a month old, in primary, then give it a few more weeks and check it again. If it's been a week since you pitched the yeast, for god's sake leave it the F alone and let the yeast do it's job.

"green apple" flavor is GREEN BEER as in too bloody young to think about bottling. If you fermented on the warm side, then it's probably why it's even more evident. Just give it more time and check it again later.

99% of the time, new brewers will rush things due to being told by the LHBS short time frames. Without tight temperature control, pitching the right amount of yeast at the start, great oxygenation methods, those time frames (99% of the time) are bunk. Especially for ales.

Jrbetz 12-22-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golddiggie (Post 4707113)
IF it's under a month old, in primary, then give it a few more weeks and check it again. If it's been a week since you pitched the yeast, for god's sake leave it the F alone and let the yeast do it's job.

"green apple" flavor is GREEN BEER as in too bloody young to think about bottling. If you fermented on the warm side, then it's probably why it's even more evident. Just give it more time and check it again later.

99% of the time, new brewers will rush things due to being told by the LHBS short time frames. Without tight temperature control, pitching the right amount of yeast at the start, great oxygenation methods, those time frames (99% of the time) are bunk. Especially for ales.

It's been in primary for 2 weeks today

Golddiggie 12-22-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrbetz (Post 4707178)
It's been in primary for 2 weeks today

Then give it [at least] another 2 weeks right where it is. Without knowing what you made, what temperatures it fermented at, what yeast you used, it's impossible to say anything beyond give it TIME... Time will cure most ale's... There are some things it can't fix, but young beer is one of them (things it CAN fix).

Jrbetz 12-22-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golddiggie (Post 4707198)

Then give it [at least] another 2 weeks right where it is. Without knowing what you made, what temperatures it fermented at, what yeast you used, it's impossible to say anything beyond give it TIME... Time will cure most ale's... There are some things it can't fix, but young beer is one of them.

Perfect. I will give it a try. I will let you know how it goes

Jrbetz 12-22-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golddiggie (Post 4707198)

Then give it [at least] another 2 weeks right where it is. Without knowing what you made, what temperatures it fermented at, what yeast you used, it's impossible to say anything beyond give it TIME... Time will cure most ale's... There are some things it can't fix, but young beer is one of them.

It does have some particles floating in it when I've takin the FG

Golddiggie 12-22-2012 04:04 AM

Post up the recipe and pictures...


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.