Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone have a extract recipe for Blue moon clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #61
freshhoarse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

made this recipie but my OG was 1.138?!?! how could that be? My final volume could have been a little low, but thats's insane! It's fermenting away, though...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #62
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What quantities of what did you use? Post your recipe that you made not the recipe you followed. At 1.138 you've either halved your volume or doubled your fermentables somehow. That or your gravity sample was more concentrated than your actual batch which is also likely.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #63
jimmystewart
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dig this thread, and I just brewed something along the lines of wild's recipe from post #5.

I used 6.5 pounds of Briess wheat LME, and Wyeast #1010 (American wheat) since my LHBS didn't have #1214 (Belgian wheat).

I noticed that earlier in this thread, someone said their brew turned out very clear. Wyeast's website says that #1010's flocculation = low. I've been reading a lot on this forum about 4 week primary fermentation with no secondary, and it's been working well so far for me. I was planning on doing that with this beer too.

I'm not terribly concerned what what the beer looks like as long as it tastes decent, since I'm not entering any competitions with it. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on 4 week primary with no secondary for a wheat or witbier?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #64
DocksideBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystewart
I dig this thread, and I just brewed something along the lines of wild's recipe from post #5.

I used 6.5 pounds of Briess wheat LME, and Wyeast #1010 (American wheat) since my LHBS didn't have #1214 (Belgian wheat).

I noticed that earlier in this thread, someone said their brew turned out very clear. Wyeast's website says that #1010's flocculation = low. I've been reading a lot on this forum about 4 week primary fermentation with no secondary, and it's been working well so far for me. I was planning on doing that with this beer too.

I'm not terribly concerned what what the beer looks like as long as it tastes decent, since I'm not entering any competitions with it. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on 4 week primary with no secondary for a wheat or witbier?

Thanks in advance for any input.
My last batch was a Belgian White Grand Cru that was kept in fermenter for 4 weeks. I ferment in a Minibrew 15 gallon conical and the recipe was Adventures in Homebrewing's (homebrewing.org). I think it is there spin on a Blue Moon clone. The brew turned out awesome!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #65
freshhoarse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I used 5# DME and 2.5# Honey... 2.5 gal at the start of 50 min boil, added 3.5 gal boiled for 10 min, then checked OG - I think my sample was suspect, because after 5 days of vigorous fermentation, I racked to my secondary and a sample was 1.030. I'll probably let it go acouple of weeks then check again...

Reason: added info

Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #66
jimmystewart
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dockside: Congrats on your awesome brew. I guess the Grand Cru is a higher ABV% and has some vanilla in it? What yeast did you use? Did it turn out hazy like most wheat beers, or did it settle out clear like a lot of the guys talk about when doing a 4 week primary?

Fresh: I've noticed that the Wyeast #1010 seems to ferment a lot slower than Nottingham. I'm still pretty new to brewing, so that's really my only point of reference.

Also, when I did mine, I put 2 pounds of the honey in at the beginning of the boil, and the other half pound at flameout. I recall some people suggesting that the earlier you add the honey, the less you're likely to notice it in the final flavor.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #67
DocksideBrew
Recipes 

Jimmystewart: It does have a higher ABV. There is no vanilla in this recipe. The brew is clean cloudy if that makes sense. The color is amazing! I will post a pic soon. The recipe is from Adventures in Homebrewing ( homebrewing.org). Check there house recipes out.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #68
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's a guy who used to actually brew Blue Moon beer. He says it does not have honey in it nor does it use a belgium wit yeast. There isn't an extract version in the thread yet but it does have the all grain version. I could care less about color, I'm just going for taste but haven't found an extract clone recipe yet.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #69
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

docksidebrew I have brewed up that same kit. It is a tasty brew. I used to live a few minutes from adventures in home brewing. I can say nothing but kind words about them. You should their Oberon clone. It is good stuff.

Quick Reply