Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone have a extract recipe for Blue moon clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Genghis77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just tried Blue Moon Belgian White. I had a record of being disappointed with wheat beers. But this one is really good. Thanks for the tip off on this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 03:17 AM   #12
diamondzen
Recipes 

Default Just used Wild's recipe

Hello all!

First time poster here. I've been extract brewing for over ten years, but just really getting back into the game now.

The wife likes Blue Moon so used Wild's recipe, but used WLP400 for my yeast instead. Anybody else use this yeast for this style of beer?

Also, I used all leaf hop versus the pellets. I did use the correct weight and AAU's.

I pitched it about 5 hours ago and my airlock is starting to show activity, so all seems well.

This batch smelled GREAT during the boil. I love the smell of boiling wort...but this was just great...must have been the peel.

Anyway, I'll post again later and let you all know how well it went.

-DZ

Old 01-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
DSLZen
Recipes 

Hello! I am diamondzen, but couldn't get my password reset. Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with this WLP400 yeast? This stuff has been fermenting for over two weeks, and keeps on ticking away! I transfered to secondary and it pickup again! One week in primary, and one week in secondary. I plan on keeping in secondary one or two more weeks.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild
Here's the recipe for:

Blue Moon Ale Clone

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

Good luck,
Wild
Add some specialty grains to this, like wheat, and it should be pretty tasty!

Boiling in 2g of water I'm assuming, right?

Primary 1: The Astronomer: An Imperial Stout
Primary 2: NA
Secondary 1: Potion #6: An Irish Stout
Bottled/Conditioning:
- Vander Maass German Wheat
- Mad Tiger: Honey IPA
Bottled/Drinking:
Up Next:
- undecided

Old 01-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myownbrew
OG 1.050
FG1.012
%ALC 4.0
IBUS 24
color srm 4

Descriptions: A northwest rendition of a begiam white beer

6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
1 pound of clear belgiam candi sugar
.5 ounces of bitter orange peel (2 min)
.5 ounces of tettnanger hops (10 min)
2 ounces of styrian golding hops (30min)
.75 ounces of corriander seed (2 min)
1 pkg of white labs wit yeast
0.75 cups of corn sugar (priming)

Instruction

1) bring three gallons of water to boil for 5 minutes. This will precipitate out any chlorine in the water. Remove from heat.
2) Mix in Coopers Light malt extract, reapply heat, bring to a gentle boil.
3) Add Styrian Golding hops and boil for 30 minutes
4) With 10 minutes remaining in the boil, add tettnanger hopsand candi sugar. With 2 min remaining in the boil add orange peel and coraiander seed (crushed).
5) After boil, agressively cool to room temparature and add yeast.
6) Ferment at 68-75 F
Again, another awsome recipe, but a pound of specialty grains (Wheat) will give these recipes much more character.

Bottled/Conditioning:
Bottled/Drinking:
Up Next:
- undecided

Old 01-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondzen
Hello all!

First time poster here. I've been extract brewing for over ten years, but just really getting back into the game now.

The wife likes Blue Moon so used Wild's recipe, but used WLP400 for my yeast instead. Anybody else use this yeast for this style of beer?

-DZ
It's a great yeast. I'm a fool for Belgian beers, as is my wife, so I pretty much only brew Belgians of sorts. As I said in my other posts on this thread, I use pretty much the same recipes with the addition of a pound of specialty grains (Wheat).

I'm currently fermenting a Belgian Wit with the WLP400 yeast strain that has been bubbling away for a week and 2 days so far, with no sign of stopping! My guess is it will stop by the middle of this coming week, where I'll rack to secondary at the end of next week, and bottle the following week.

It's a crazy yeast!

I'm a little so...

Just an FYI, if you're looking for an extract recipe to 'clone' a Blue Moon, it's not gonna happen. They will always come out darker (much darker) than a Blue Moon looks. They will always taste richer as well, so if you like the lightness in color and taste of the BLue Moon you're not going to achieve it with extract, unfortunately.

When I brewed my 1st Belgian, getting a 'Blue Moon' beer was my goal as well, however, I was pleasantly suprised with the results of the Belgian Wit I made, and so, have continued to make rich, hardy, full-bodied, exotic Belgian brews using extract and specialty grains.

I think you'll dig it too. These recipes can easily be twisted into Belgian Dubbels, and Trippels too!

5gB

Bottled/Conditioning:
Bottled/Drinking:
Up Next:
- undecided

Rahjah Likes This 
Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLZen
Hello! I am diamondzen, but couldn't get my password reset. Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with this WLP400 yeast? This stuff has been fermenting for over two weeks, and keeps on ticking away! I transfered to secondary and it pickup again! One week in primary, and one week in secondary. I plan on keeping in secondary one or two more weeks.
Let it roll, my man, let it roll

Bottled/Conditioning:
Bottled/Drinking:
Up Next:
- undecided

Old 01-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gBrewer
Just an FYI, if you're looking for an extract recipe to 'clone' a Blue Moon, it's not gonna happen. They will always come out darker (much darker) than a Blue Moon looks. They will always taste richer as well, so if you like the lightness in color and taste of the BLue Moon you're not going to achieve it with extract, unfortunately.

When I brewed my 1st Belgian, getting a 'Blue Moon' beer was my goal as well, however, I was pleasantly suprised with the results of the Belgian Wit I made, and so, have continued to make rich, hardy, full-bodied, exotic Belgian brews using extract and specialty grains.

I think you'll dig it too. These recipes can easily be twisted into Belgian Dubbels, and Trippels too!

5gB
As to the color issue, look up "late extract addition" techniques. There's no need for extract to be boiled a full hour; you can add most of it to the boil in the last twenty minutes and it will be sanitized (you don't need to worry about getting a hot break with extract, most was removed during the manufacturing process).

As a side note, hops utilization is higher with less extract in the boil during the beginning, and with these kinds of beers you've got to be REALLY careful about that.

What this will do is lighten up the beer considerably. It may still have "too much" flavor, but at least you'll have something that LOOKS more appropriate.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #19
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Here's one I brewed and it got the nod of approval from two Blue Moon lovers already.

6lbs Munton's Wheat DME
1lb honey.
1/2oz Cascade bittering, 1/2oz Cascade Flavor
1oz sweet orange peel (I used fresh zest but either way)

Bittering added at boil, wait 45 minutes. Add flavor hops, honey and extract and boil 15 minutes. Boil orange peel separately in 2 cups water, cool and add to fermenter.

Edit: forgot to mention I used Danstar's Windsor dry yeast to least a little sweetness.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:02 AM   #20
Gregg Meyer

Recipes 

From the post at the top how do you know Blue moon has been americanized and what the H%LL IS Americanized for the populos ? Are you from Belgum and just "know " all this stuff, not trying to be rude just seems a bit strange how you would be so confident in the flavor of that beer, Is this so different that it stands out beyond all others? I have had Blue moon and I thought it was ok. I'm not really into the fruit slices in my beer thing but it is just fine to do also. I du no just rambing here.

Quick Reply