The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > anyone got a lite beer recipe to use with wlp005 British ale yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
homebrewertodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default anyone got a lite beer recipe to use with wlp005 British ale yeast?

Hi all. My wife doesn't drink the beers I make, (I'm a big porter, stout fan) so, I told her I would make her a light beer. She likes bud light lime, so I'm looking at making something that has a little better flavor, with the lime. I have some wlp005 on hand, so I thought if I could make a lighter beer, and put some lime flavoring in itx she would be getting better beer, and it would have the lime taste in it also. So, any ideas, recipes? Also, looking to do this all extracts, or extract with specialties. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewertodd View Post
Hi all. My wife doesn't drink the beers I make, (I'm a big porter, stout fan) so, I told her I would make her a light beer. She likes bud light lime, so I'm looking at making something that has a little better flavor, with the lime. I have some wlp005 on hand, so I thought if I could make a lighter beer, and put some lime flavoring in itx she would be getting better beer, and it would have the lime taste in it also. So, any ideas, recipes? Also, looking to do this all extracts, or extract with specialties. Thanks for the help.
I think it would be really really hard to get the lime flavor right in the beer. Using zest might work, but it might end up being bitter. I'd make a light cream ale, and just serve it with a lime.

Cream ales are really easy- extra light DME, corn sugar, and/or rice syrup or rice syrup solids. Another idea is a recipe I was just looking at this morning: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f57/honey-lite-lager-55286/ Of course, you're not making a lager but I think I'd make something like that, or very similar, because it looks very light and quaffable.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

What about a Mild, or a Bitter? I'd suggest not putting in the lime, and adding a lime wedge to taste in the glass. That way if the lime gets in there it can't be the cause of the whole batch being a dud.

Quick Reply