Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone brewed a Russian Imperial Stout Brewer's Best kit????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #21
Henny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestdays View Post
We turned this kit into a monster by adding some extra LME and a little honey. We had an OG of 1.11! We used the Nottingham yeast that came with it and added a pack of US-05. Fermentation was definitely violent at the least. This is currently bottled and aging for at least six months.
What was your FG? (if it is done fermenting)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
BetanBrewing
Recipes 

Well, for what it's worth, I made an extract BB Irish Stout and dumped a 8oz. bag of Starbucks Christmas Blend into the Secondary just before moving the beer onto it. We let that sit for 24hr and then moved 4g off the coffee grinds to a clean 5g carboy and moved 1g to a carboy onto 3/4oz water soaked oak chips. Turned out to be a very intense coffee flavor and aroma. There is a little bit of a bitterness, but also almost a little bit of a sourness from the coffee that is mellowing with time. The 1g we oaked turned out much better and smoother and the oak is completely hidden.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #23
FrankB
Recipes 

I just brewed this one last night for my first attempt at brewing. I will have to keep an eye out for the blow off, glad to have found this site, wish I would have found this yesterday before brewing. I do have some questions though. The instructions don't say anything about secondary fermemter, should it be? If so, I'll need to go buy another fermemter pail. Only one came with my kit and I didn't think I should use the bottling pail as a secondary. And secondly, the instructions said to bottle after 3 to 7 days when fermentation stops, then condition for 21 days. From the earlier posts I am assuming those times are a little off. I had read about other RIS's that took months to ferment and then bottle aged for months as well. Since this is my first time brewing I don't want to rush things to much. I did get another BrewersBest English Pale Ale kit to brew next. Sounds like I should have brewed that one first.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Many people do not secondary; they just leave their beer in primary for longer (3-4 weeks). I've done this kit twice, both times with good results leaving it in primary for at least 3 weeks. Bottling early, especially with a big beer, could result in unfermented sugars in your bottles. When combined with priming sugar, your beer could be, at the least, overcarbonated, or at worst, you could have bottle bombs. Letting the beer go for three weeks or so lets you be more sure that fermentation is complete and it also lets the yeast clean up after themselves.

This beer gets better with some aging, but is very drinkable after one month in bottles, in my experience. Longer aging lets the flavors and the alcohol balance themselves out.

I just bottled a Scottish Wee Heavy (8%) this weekend and will let it sit at least two months. I'll probably sample in 3 or 4 weeks to make sure that it is carbing up properly. Patience rewards us with better beer.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #25
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4821 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I did it. It was at it's best after 6 months in the bottle, IMO.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #26
MrGneissGuy
Recipes 

I've got one of these kits sitting and waiting for a free weekend to brew up. I've been thinking of adding a pound or so of lactose, but am not sure if that would work as well in an Imperial Stout vs. a, for lack of a better term, normal stout. Making a heavy duty milk stout, if you will. I am also thinking that if I do add the lactose, I might take a small part of it (a six pack or so) at bottling and add some chai spices. Any thoughts on these additions to this recipe? Or would those work better in a standard stout and I should just leave the RIS well enough alone?

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
SKYY
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just finished bottling this kit. I let it sit in the primary for 2 weeks, and then in a secondary for 3 weeks (with 2 cups of dark-toasted oak chips). The FG was higher than anticipated--1.027. In hindsight, I should have left it in the secondary with an electric warmer for another week, just to ensure a full fermentation. Also, I only used a single packet of dry nottingham yeast--two would have likely been ideal, based on the OG.

But, I bottled it anyways, since I'm going to Alaska for the next 2 months. IMO, a bit of unfermented carbs/sugars add a lot to a beer's flavor complexity, while the ABV suffers only slightly. This beer's going to sit in bottles for another 6-8 weeks. The beer's been bottled for merely a week, but the carbonation's already going on strong, based on what I've seen in my one "tester" PET bottle.

MrGneissGuy, I'd absolutely recommend that you follow through with your ambitions of spice additions. Stouts are all about flavor complexity. Imperial Stouts are the most forgiving beers around when it comes to that--adding lactose and spices will just make the taste and aroma bigger and better, without compromising the dark, malty fundamentals of the varietal.

AFAIK, stouts are all about making your tongue's tastebuds explode in at least 7 different directions. You can't lose, with this kit.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
jweez
Recipes 

Default brewers best russian imperial stout

This was my first beer (other then a mr beer kit).

I brewed this bad boy about a month and a half ago. Fermented in my 6.5 carboy for 2 weeks, kegged it, and let it age in that for 2 weeks. It turned out very yummy. Great lacing. I wouldnt call it a russian imperial stout though, i've gotten too use to my Abyss from deschutes i guess. It has been aging nice in the keg and getting better with every glass.

This one is crazy violent during fermentation. I had to clean out my airlock as well, it damn near blew my cork and airlock off! I will definitely use a blowoff tube next time with this guy.

Just brewed the hop scare ipa from midwest on thursday. Excited to see how this one turns out.

Happy brewing.

Quick Reply