New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone brewed a Russian Imperial Stout Brewer's Best kit????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
popfreash60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

what about wood chips? maybe soaked in bourbon? anyone have any thoughts on that

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I hope you used a blowoff tube, thats all I have to say about this kit...

Mine is not bottled yet. Should be awesome.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
hoppyguy
Recipes 

I just brewed this and I'm getting crazy fermentation. Anyone else have the same experience where it blows the airlock off the top of the bucket. I used the dry yeast and the room temp is 58 degrees.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
Rubberband
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have not brewed this recipe but I had a BB Hefeweizen that did the same thing. Revvy hooked me up with a picture of how to brew in a bucket with a blow-off tube. I would recommend searching for it, it's so simple.

I intend to brew a RIS and BB should be as good as any. I will certainly be using a blow-off for the primary fermentation.

zum Wohl

"A man who carries a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
bmckee56

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have the Imperial Stout from my LHBS which from the previous post recipe above is exactly the same kit, but mine came with a liquid yeast upgrade. My initial fermentation was quite vigorous, but slowed quickly and stoped at 1.030. I racked to a secondary and fermentation restarted and continues after several days. It's a slow bubble every several minutes, but continues to date.

It developed a krausen in the carboy but never reached the airlock. I plan on allowing it to continue for a few days before racking to a keg and aging.

As for additions, I think I will forgo them as this is my first batch of Stout. Maybe on future brews, I will make adjustments and additions.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #16
brew2you
Recipes 

I just bottled the BB RIS. Haven't gotten to try any of it yet but all the other BB kits I have done have turned out good. This particular kit did require a blow off tube. Used half inch hose on three piece air lock. Then ran the hose into a jar with sanitizer.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:45 AM   #17
darkestdays
Recipes 

We turned this kit into a monster by adding some extra LME and a little honey. We had an OG of 1.11! We used the Nottingham yeast that came with it and added a pack of US-05. Fermentation was definitely violent at the least. This is currently bottled and aging for at least six months.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Mine almost blew the lid off the fermenter, no joke. I caught it just as it was taking off fermenting and the lid had bulged easily over 1" above its normal flat surface.

Mine is bottled now and I am letting it sit.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have only done 4 batches, as I just started this fall, but 2 of them have been BB RIS kits. The first one I did with the dry yeast in the kit and it turned out very well after a couple months in the bottle. The second one I brewed with 2 smack packs of Wyeast Belgian Abby Ale II, and it just went into bottles after 3 weeks in primary (I'm still debating getting a secondary or not). Out of the primary, this beer has more complex, slightly fruity, but nicely-balanced character. I'm looking forward to drinking it, but am waiting several weeks. The first RIS fermented relatively smoothly, but the one with liquid yeast had crazy fermentation and needed a blowoff hose.

For my next two batches, I'm considering the Northern Brewer Wee Heavy and Nut Brown Ales. If anyone has brewed either of these, I'd love to hear about it.

I recommend the BB RIS.

Jeff

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #20
baron

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bottled my Brewer's Best RIS on 1/17 -- can't wait to try it.

I should have used a blow off for this one -- it was very active. Next time I'll know.
I had to clean the air lock several times before it settled down.

The only thing I did different than the original kit ingredients -- I used a liquid yeast and LDME instead of the supplied Corn Sugar.

Quick Reply