Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone brewed a Russian Imperial Stout Brewer's Best kit????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
heertsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone brewed a Russian Imperial Stout Brewer's Best kit????

Can get that online for around $31, which is pretty cheap for that style.

Has anyone brewed this from them?? Did it turn out well???

Any comments on Brewer's Best kits in general??? Notice most don't give you a yeast option upgrade, so we don't like that!

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
hemishot
Recipes 

Default kits

I have done three BB kits. The only one I did not like was the American Light. I have brewed the Irish Stout, Oktoberfest, English Brown Ale, and the American Light. I was told by the LHBS to just discard the yeast and buy a fresh pack because the kits are not stored in the cold. Hope this helps!

Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What does the kit come with? What do the instructions say? If it's one can of prehopped extract, you would want to buy another 3-6lb of DME to get you to a high starting gravity, so it can be a true RIS. You probably also want to buy some hops to boost the bitterness and get at least two packs of dry yeast to pitch a big cell count. But if you have to do all this, I'd say just buy a RIS kit from a HB web store, it might be more expensive but you will enjoy the results much more. I think it's worth spending some money for such a strong beer that you will probably age for, at least, a couple of months.

Last edited by Iordz; 08-30-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Brewers Best kits are pretty decent kits and come with everything you need. They include unhopped LME and possibly DME, precrushed speciality grains, grain bag, hop pellets, bottle caps and dry yeast. The yeast is a dry yeast (mine was Danstar Nottingham) so should be fine unless sitting on a shelf for a long time. The description is OG 1.070-1.080 and IBU of 50-80 so I don't think you need to add any thing to it.
I have not done the RIS kit but the Red Ale and Irish Stout kits I did were easy to do and made good beer.
BB kits are recipe kits like HB web store kits not a no-boil kit.
Craig

Last edited by CBBaron; 08-30-2007 at 08:07 PM.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
heertsy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
Brewers Best kits are pretty decent kits and come with everything you need. They include unhopped LME and possibly DME, precrushed speciality grains, grain bag, hop pellets, bottle caps and dry yeast. The yeast is a dry yeast (mine was Danstar Nottingham) so should be fine unless sitting on a shelf for a long time. The description is OG 1.070-1.080 and IBU of 50-80 so I don't think you need to add any thing to it.
I have not done the RIS kit but the Red Ale and Irish Stout kits I did were easy to do and made good beer.
BB kits are recipe kits like HB web store kits not a no-boil kit.
Craig
Excellent work CB!!!! Here is what is actually says and comes with:

Brewer’s Best Bold Series TM
Recipe for
RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT*
Yield: 5 gallons
Starting Gravity: 1.070 - 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.020 - 1.030
Alcohol by Volume: 7% - 8%
Hop IBUs: 50 - 80
NGREDIENTS (INCLUDED): EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
6.6 lbs. Plain Dark Malt
2 lbs. Plain Dark Dry Malt Extract
8 oz. Crushed Roasted Barley
8 oz. Crushed Black Patent
1 lb. Crushed Crystal Malt 60L
2 each Grain Steeping Bags
1 oz. Yakima Magnum Hops (Bittering)
5 oz. Priming Sugar
60 each Crown Caps
1 each Beer Yeast

Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That looks like a good deal, I have never use one of their kits, so I didn't know. Only think I would suggest is buy one more packet of yeast to ensure that the beer ferments completely.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
revrand65
Recipes 

i bought out a stores entire stock of brewers best kits and they were all pretty good and most were a couple years old..i don't use kits anymore and have gone on to all grain brewing in the fall and winter and extract in the spring and summer..all in all BB kits are very good and contain everything needed to make a fine beer..

Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used nothing but BB kits. Never had a bad one. If you want them cheaper, check this site out.

www.leisure-time.com

Old 09-09-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
bobida
Recipes 

I made the BB Russian Stout and have been very pleased with the result- big malty/chocolate flavor and nice warm alcohol mouthfeel. I bottled this batch about 5 weeks ago and each bottle over time gets tastier. Great creamy head and good lacing. I look forward to making this again and putting it in a keg.

As far as the BB kits go, I have made about 7 different styles which all came out great. If you want to substitute whitelab yeasts and do some dry hopping you can make some respectable/nice brew. Space and equipment limitations keep me from going all grain right now-- Making different styles of brew and tasting the results is the best part of brewing and these kits have all been winners in my book.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
shawnm213
Recipes 

Default adding coffee to Russian Imperial Stout

i am rather new to home brewing and currently have the brewer's best RIS kit in the primary fermenter. I'm thinking about adding some cold extracted coffee to the secondary. any recommendations for what kind of coffee to use to maintain good head retention? Also, any thoughts on adding vanilla beans or cocoa to the secondary?

Thanks!

Quick Reply