Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone brewed Ferocious?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Surly Furious is one of my top 3 IPA's and its local for me. Any updates on how the Midwest clone kit turned out? I don't normally buy kits, but with the MW or NB Surly clones, you don't save anything by buying ala cart with the massive hop additions.

Some differences I noted between the two. Malt: Midwest uses all Golden Promise for base malt plus a lb of Munich. Less crystal. NB uses 2row for half of the base malt, adds more crystal (no munich) and a splash of roasted Barley. I would tend to give MW the advantage here with the all GP malt which shines through in the original.

Hops: MW adds some late Citra addtions that aren't present in NB's hop schedule. Dry hop is 3 oz total of Simcoe, Ahtanum, and Amarillo. NB uses 8.5 ounces in their dry hop alone!! Very heavy on simcoe, a little less of ahtanum, and a tad of warrior and amarillo.

Wondering if anyone has brewed both, or if anyone has a comparison of either to the original Surly? I am inclined to go with MW and add some extra dry hop. Although even at 4 or 5 ounces there will be some serious beer loss in hop absorption!

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I brewed the extract version of the MW kit and I thought it turned out fantasic. I've never had the original, but I surely (sorry, couldn't resist) liked what I brewed. I like it so much I'm making it my house IPA. I've since switched to doing BIAB so the next time I brew I will be going with the AG recipe so I'm excited to see how much better it turns out doing AG!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #23
ryanmx48
Recipes 

I just brewed this and it is abosolutely awesome! It's funny because I'm in the exact position as you, this was my second batch. My first batch was the Autumn Amber Ale that came with my Groupon starter kit. I used the $25 gift code towards the Ferocious kit.

I followed the instructions to the T and it came out awesome! After bottling my first batch, I quickly realized that it is inevidiable that I'd be kegging at some point, so my ferocious just went into my new, pieced together keg setup.

I have never had Surly's Furious, but I love my hoppy IPA's. If I were to compare it to something, mine tastes kinda like an Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's.

Good luck man

Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #24
ryanmx48
Recipes 

One quick note. The instructions advise that you will "get more out of you hops" but not using the dry hop bag. I skipped the bag (my kit didn't come with one, it was supposed too though) and dryhopped in my glass carboy secondary, it really makes a mess of the beer. If you want nice clear beer, I'd use the hop bag, I know I will next time.

I also "cold crashed" before kegging. I just learned of it and is amazingly effective at clearing the beer.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

The super fine mesh hop bags are so worth the investment. I dry hopped 2 or 3 times without and now always use one. I like to dry hop in the keg after the beer is cold, that way no aroma fade as you work your way through it.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Quick Reply