Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone brewed Ferocious?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've brewed this a few times and it is delicious. Ferment on the cool side of your yeast profile if your able and be ready for lots of trub if you let the hop debris into the fermenter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
AnnapolisBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSheetsBrewing View Post
I've brewed this a few times and it is delicious. Ferment on the cool side of your yeast profile if your able and be ready for lots of trub if you let the hop debris into the fermenter.
My brew pot has a mesh filter on the other side of the ball valve spigot so much of the trub remained behind. I know there will still be some that transferred though. I was able to get the wort down to 74 before I pitched the yeast. I was very happy with that temp since my previous brew I could only get it down to 79. I brewed yesterday and it is happily bubbling away in the primary.

When should I transfer to the secondary carboy?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Recipes 

Usually 2-3 weeks after fermentation has started. I'd wait the 3 and check the gravity.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I'm not transferring mine. I'm leaving mine go in primary and plan on dry hopping the third week...

Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
AnnapolisBrewer
Recipes 

Do I need to transfer to a secondary to dry hop? If I do I was thinking of putting the 3 ounces of hops into a mesh bag with some glass marbles as weight and then racking the beer on top of it.

Any thoughts on this method? Should I even do this or should I just throw the hops in the primary?

Fermenting: Ferocious by Midwest
Conditioning: Autumn Amber Ale (Bramling Cross hops)
Considering: A Stout - Any recommendations?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Recipes 

Secondary is a matter of preferece. You will get varying opinions here, but the predominant one would be to skip the secondary. I would agree with the previous poster and leave it in primary and dry hop there. If you do a search on the board you should find numerous threads on the thinking of secondaries and you can formulate what works best for you.

On to the dry hopping. Again you'll find numerous processes on how to do it. I like to just toss them in and let them float around in order to keep things simple. After a few days I may swirl to make sure they all get contact with the beer. That being said I've read multiple accounts of people dry hopping just as you described and again you'll need to develop a process that works best for you.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
MMJfan
Recipes 

ThreeSheets pretty much covered it. I've found that there really is no right or wrong answer when it comes to transferring to secondary or letting it ride in primary. More a matter of preference.

My preference is to let it ride due to the fact that my first homebrew was an IPA and I had to dry hop. The directions in the kit said to transfer it to the carboy after one week and then dry hop after 2 weeks with whole leaf hops. Well, I made a HUGE mess trying to get the whole leaf hops into the carboy and then when I was racking to my bottling bucket, my auto-siphon was getting clogged like crazy and I probably lost about a gallon of beer because of the hops in the carboy.

Ever since then, I've just let it ride in the fermenting bucket and added the hops. I too use a mesh hop sack weighted with sanitized marbles and tied to my handle with fishing line. Much easier and cleaner...

Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Skrufbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always rack off to a secondary for a few reasons. I only have one 6 gal bucket/primary, so i like to move the beer out of the way so I can use the 6er, also to recycle the yeast cake. More money spent on beer less money spent on fishing tackle. Also you tend to get a clearererer beer, cloudy beer dosnt bother me, but you can ditch alota solids with a racking. I usualy rack when I know all the Hardcore fermentng is done. It'l foam up all the way to the top, then settle back down, thats about the time I rack to 2ndary, but its all preference. I've been lazy and just let stuff ferment all the way out in the primary, but then your only getting 5 gal every 3weeks as opposed to every week

Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
MMJfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrufbrewer View Post
I always rack off to a secondary for a few reasons. I only have one 6 gal bucket/primary, so i like to move the beer out of the way so I can use the 6er, also to recycle the yeast cake. More money spent on beer less money spent on fishing tackle. Also you tend to get a clearererer beer, cloudy beer dosnt bother me, but you can ditch alota solids with a racking. I usualy rack when I know all the Hardcore fermentng is done. It'l foam up all the way to the top, then settle back down, thats about the time I rack to 2ndary, but its all preference. I've been lazy and just let stuff ferment all the way out in the primary, but then your only getting 5 gal every 3weeks as opposed to every week
I'd suggest buying more buckets. I've got 3 fermenting buckets and a glass carboy and the only beers I rack to my carboy are the ones that don't involve dry hopping.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
AnnapolisBrewer
Recipes 

Sounds good fellas. I think I will leave it in the primary and buy another fermeting bucket. I do have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy that my neighbor gave me (He goes right to the keg now) but I think I will save that for a beer that may benefit from the secondary. I absolutely love this forum for all the advice I get on here. Hopefully one day I will have enough knowledge to give some advice of my own.

Cheers gentlemen!

Fermenting: Ferocious by Midwest
Conditioning: Autumn Amber Ale (Bramling Cross hops)
Considering: A Stout - Any recommendations?

Quick Reply