New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > any way to "thicken" this recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Not really a sweet stout without lactose, if you meant sweet stout as in a milk stout or cream stout.

Either way, you need some flaked barley and/or flaked oats.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
You could start with a half pound, maybe a pound. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but steeping oatmeal won't convert itself right? Therefore you'll get some extra body and mouthfeel but it won't add any sugars to the brew.
I like to use flaked oats - basically quick cook oats. They're steamed when they roll them out - meaning they're already partially pre-converted.

I use up to a pound of oats in my stouts - much more and they start getting really thick mouth feel. Maybe that's what you're after, dunno.

Anyway, you can basically make some thin oatmeal in your wort as you steep.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
I like to use flaked oats - basically quick cook oats. They're steamed when they roll them out - meaning they're already partially pre-converted.

I use up to a pound of oats in my stouts - much more and they start getting really thick mouth feel. Maybe that's what you're after, dunno.

Anyway, you can basically make some thin oatmeal in your wort as you steep.
interesting. so you can just use the standard quick cook oats from the grocery store vs. from the brew shop??? (would rather pay $0.69 a lb from the farmers market for rolled oats then $2.25 a lb from the brew shop)

Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Not really a sweet stout without lactose, if you meant sweet stout as in a milk stout or cream stout.

Either way, you need some flaked barley and/or flaked oats.
I was just going by the title of the recipe "Sweet Wheat Stout" ... it's surprisingly sweet for a stout that isn't a milk stout though. probably from the 1.018 final gravity

Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
brycelarson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
interesting. so you can just use the standard quick cook oats from the grocery store vs. from the brew shop??? (would rather pay $0.69 a lb from the farmers market for rolled oats then $2.25 a lb from the brew shop)
yup - I buy oats in bulk at the co-op. I think they're under $0.50 a pound.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-2.html

I've also used a mix of really nice steel cut oats and quick cook. The steel cut have a nuttier flavor - it's a subtle difference but I was trying to dial in an oatmeal stout recipe and trying lots of combinations.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew

You could start with a half pound, maybe a pound. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but steeping oatmeal won't convert itself right? Therefore you'll get some extra body and mouthfeel but it won't add any sugars to the brew.
Been discussing the oats over in the gluten-free forum... What ive been getting is that on its own the flaked grains, oats, corn, rice, will not convert due to low or no enzymes, if you are adding to a reg wort you will get some conversion as the barley/wheat have the enzyme...

Old 08-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
wormraper
Recipes 

ok, one more stupid question. since I'm just going for body and mouthfeel I don't need to do a cereal mash for the oats right??? just steep at 160 degrees for an hour with the rest of my specialty grains? or should I at least cook the oats on the stovetop before adding them to the steeping bag

Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
brycelarson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
ok, one more stupid question. since I'm just going for body and mouthfeel I don't need to do a cereal mash for the oats right??? just steep at 160 degrees for an hour with the rest of my specialty grains? or should I at least cook the oats on the stovetop before adding them to the steeping bag
You can pre-cook the oats if you want to. The flaked should add some goodness with just the steep - but if you use steel cut or other less modified oats then the cooking would be helpful.

Quick Reply