Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > ANY flavor from bittering hops after 60 minute boil??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Franzi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ANY flavor from bittering hops after 60 minute boil??

To all of you who have brewed many batches over the years:

do you notice any difference when bittering with different hops? Do the fruity/earthy/etc tones really come out in the beer after boiling hops for 60 minutes?

If not mistaken, I recall reading that John Palmer uses the same hop (Galena I think) for all bittering purposes. This makes me wonder if I should simply buy in bulk, hops with a high AA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know the answer to that either - but good question. But, I do recall reading something about how the super high alpha hops would lend a harsh bitterness - whereas the lower or more standard high alphas would be smoother.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I heard on a jamil podcast that there is both flavor and bittering that come out of both sides of the hop additions. I think he said that it would be minimal but there is some there. I this situation would be good for some side by side testing to be done.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did side-by-side comparisons on my house beers (one an IPA, one an ordinary bitter and one a dry stout) when I wanted to switch my bittering additions to galena to save money (my hop addiction is EKG which is uber pricey).

I saw no difference at all in the flavour of the IPA or the ordinary bitter - both of which had enough flavour additions to overshadow any possible flavours from the bittering addition.

The dry stout I THINK I detected a difference but to be honest it was so slight I may have been 'noticing' it because I was looking for it, if you know what I mean.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
HP_Lovecraft
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did not notice when I switched hops for my stouts, which only use bitter hops.
I'm sure it does make a SMALL, barely detectable difference.

Generally the beta acids, and hop oils get denatured after 30 minutes or so, and you are only left with the isomerized alpha acids.

But Guinness, for example, I've read that they do not use a "standard" bittering hop, but use whatever they can get for a good price, based on alpha per euro.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Very, very little. The bittering qualities can vary, though. I use Columbus for bittering a lot. I like it & I got a deal on two pounds of pellets last year.

You might notice differences in styles where there are no flavor or aroma adds.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply