New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > American Pale ale with S04?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
wreckinball9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default American Pale ale with S04?

I was about to brew an "American Ale" (pale ale) kit from morebeer.com when i realized I had Safale S04, which is an English ale yeast. Even though morebeer recommended that yeast for the kit, I know US-05 american ale yeast would be better for what i want.

My question is, how much difference is there between these two dry yeasts? Both are considered to be clean yeasts that don't impart much flavor, so should I pitch the S04, or wait a week or so for some US-05?

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Both are good yeasts. S-05 tends to be "cleaner' tasting with less of its own flavor. It will probably dry out the brew a little more than 04-- good or bad depending on the recipe and style. S-04 is more typical of English ales with estery overtones. 04 is also a little more flocculant.

Results may vary.

My airlock passes gas.

Last edited by yeoldebrewer; 02-25-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I wouldn't call S-04 "clean" - it doesn't tend to attenuate as much and throws off quite a few esters and other flavors that accentuate the crystal malts and English hops that tend to be used heavily in English Pale Ales/Bitters. It'll probably make a perfectly fine beer if you use it in your brew, but I wouldn't expect it to have that Chico crispness/dryness that US-05 will give you.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think of American ales as being much more defined by their hop profile than the yeast used. To that extent, I think you'd be more much able to make S-04 work in an APA than you would get US-05 to work in an English pale (which is more defined by the malt and yeast ester profile).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!
CBelli Likes This 
Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
wreckinball9
Recipes 

yeah you guys are right, I was hoping to have a miracle answer that S04 would be the same but I knew you guys are right so i drove my lazy ass to the LHBS and got the US-05. thanks guys

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Quick Reply