Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > American Brown Ale Critique/Smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
bucknutbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default American Brown Ale Critique/Smell

I have an off smell/taste in my beer that I can't quite describe.

Morebeer American Brown Ale.
Recipe
7lbs Ultralight LME

Yeast = Safale S-04

Steeping Grains
8 oz crystal 60L
8 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Chocolate

Hops
1 oz Glacier (bittering) boiled 60 minutes
2 oz Glacier (Flavoring) 5 minutes
1 oz Cascade (Aroma) 1 minute

Whirlfloc (last 5 minutes)
4 oz priming sugar at bottling

bottled 12/13
put case in the refrigerator on 12/27

Final gravity 1.10
I carefully added the sugar at the very end (i should have added sooner). I let it sit a couple of hours in the bottling bucket (covered) before bottling.

The beer tastes okay at this point, but there is definitely a smell that shouldn't be there and I can taste something "off". I know that someone is going to ask me more about the specific smell. I know it is not the bandaid smell.

I used tap water and added a campden tablet.

The beer doesn't have a lot of foam but is carbed.

Thanks, Gary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How long has it been in the bottle?

Take a read of these posts...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/weizenbock-too-much-alcohol-taste-95437/#post1037791

If it's young don't worry about it...esides if it tastes fine...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

First off, relax. You said it tastes good, and we believe you. My beer always tastes like beer to me. Second, as the mighty Rev stated, it will heal itself. Third, your recipe looks pretty solid. As long as you are a sanitation droid this beer will be the libation of your dreams after a yoda-like meditation.

Sorry, my son is beating me over the head with his star-wars christmas presents, but you get the point.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Sorry, my son is beating me over the head with his star-wars christmas presents, but you get the point.
What did he get, lightsaber?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What did he get, lightsaber?
Pfft.. He's had the light saber for a few years. Last year it was the AT-AT, the long-legged walker thing. This year it was another AT-something. They keep the movies and cartoons coming and pump the toys out to go along with it. I've watched the newer movies with him, but I still ask questions about the toys that he wants. I wasn't into star wars when I was young, just a transformers/GI-Joe/He-Man guy. Guess I should have paid more attention.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 01-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
bucknutbrew
Recipes 

Will it matter that I refrigerated half of the batch after 14 days....meaning, can the beer heal while being refrigerated?

I was just concerned because I was reading about the extract twang, but I don't think that this is my case.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am new to this, but from my reading and re-reading of brewing books and lurking around this forum, I think cold-conditioning is a good way to smooth out your beer, even after bottling. If you have let it carb up already, then run a test with it and see what happens to the chilled stuff and the stuff at room temp. then let us know how it went.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Bigbens6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cold condition can clear up the beer and aid final carbonation, but initial bottle ocnditioning should be around 70 degrees for up to three weeks...

Coming up: IPA
Fermenting: NADA grrrrr....
Bottles: American Amber, ESB, Pilsner, Choc Stout, Boch

Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
cushdan
Recipes 

How was your temperature during fermentation?

I had some clove flavor that I didn't want one time in a regular blonde ale which mellowed out a lot with age but is still noticeable. It wasn't a flavor I was really familiar with so I was worried something went wrong. Revvy called me a noob though and everything turned out ok.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
bucknutbrew
Recipes 

It was in carboy for 4 weeks around 66 degrees. I really have been racking my brain trying to figure out what the smell is...I know that I've smelt something similar before, but it is nothing on the link provided above.

Quick Reply