Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Amber malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Headcase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Amber malt extract

Heya guys. I've got 6 lbs of Amber LME and 6 lbs of Amber DME. What kinda brews do you usually make with these? I'm thinkin mabye some kinda Brown Ale, though I know those are usually made with Light malt extract. Or even mabye a porter of some kind. I don't know. I'm still pretty new at this and have only been brewing since Sep. I would appreciate any ideas you fellas would like to share with me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I use amber LME in my brown ale and my Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout PM recipes.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Headcase
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yooper that recipe is almost exactly what I had in mind before I noticed Brown ales were being done with a different extract. I was planning on using Cascade Hops and tinkering with the idea of throwing a few orange peels in at the last 10 minutes of boil. I'm also going with WLP060 American Ale Blend yeast. Still not sure how this will come out. What's your take on this?

ChshreCat, that beer looks amazing! It's going to take EPIC discipline not to quite work and go home to brew that right now! Also I don't think I have the gear at the moment to do a partail mash.

Thanks for the input guys. I believe I'll learn alot form you all

Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase View Post
Yooper that recipe is almost exactly what I had in mind before I noticed Brown ales were being done with a different extract. I was planning on using Cascade Hops and tinkering with the idea of throwing a few orange peels in at the last 10 minutes of boil. I'm also going with WLP060 American Ale Blend yeast. Still not sure how this will come out. What's your take on this?

ChshreCat, that beer looks amazing! It's going to take EPIC discipline not to quite work and go home to brew that right now! Also I don't think I have the gear at the moment to do a partail mash.

Thanks for the input guys. I believe I'll learn alot form you all
I'm not a fan of orange peels or other fruits in any beer, but I especially wouldn't do it with a brown ale. I like the tradition English brown, which tastes quick similar to Newcastle. I'm not sure what citrusy US hops and orange peel would be like, but if it sounds like something you'd like, go for it!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I have brewed a caramel brown a few times that was great.

That sounds like 10 gallons though .

10 gallons

Your leftover extract
2 lb of crystal 60L
2 oz fuggles 45 min

Top up to 10 gallons.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Headcase
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have enough for two 5 gallon brews. I think what I'm going to do is make the regular brown ale as it's suposed to be made. The other will just be an experiment. We'll see how it turns out.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Amber extracts are made with any number of different ingredients. Briess's, for example, is mashed with Pale, 60L Caramel, and Munich malts. Thus it is quite well-suited for styles like Stout and especially Brown Ale.

I'm going to disagree with Yooper and recommend you simply steep a few ounces of cracked Chocolate Malt instead of the extra Crystal/Caramel malt. I've done a simple Brown Ale many times which consists of 6.6 lbs Amber LME and 4 ounces of Chocolate Malt, hopped with Fuggles.

The reason you see very few recipes featuring Amber or Dark extracts is because you have more control over recipes featuring Pale/Light extracts and specialty grains. The darker extracts already have specialty grains added to them to make them darker and give them distinctive flavors; since no maltster provides analyses which list the exact proportions of each, you can't know exactly what's in there, so you lose a certain amount of control. Moreover, not all extracts are the same - Briess Amber is different from Muntons Amber, etc.

You get the picture. Good luck!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase View Post
If you have a pasta pot and a kitchen strainer, you have everything you need to do small to medium sized partial mashes. I've made both my brown ale and my chocolate stout recipe that way.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Add an ounce of Fuggle at bittering and an ounce of fuggle at the last five minutes and it is a decent british pale ale. Use White Labs British ale yeast (not London).

Forrest

Quick Reply